Old 06-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Kevin Kofler

Default helper scripts location

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Multilib subdirs are arbitrary directory names. There is no convention
> of them being named "lib*".

There is, it's written in the FHS:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#LIBLTQUALGTALTERNATEFORMATESSENTIAL

But I don't see anything banning <qual>=exec there!

Kevin Kofler

Old 06-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Kevin Kofler

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Multilib subdirs are arbitrary directory names. There is no convention
> of them being named "lib*".

PS: Actually this:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRLIBLTQUALGTALTERNATEFORMATLIBRARI
is the relevant reference for /usr/lib<qual> (the other one was for
/lib<qual>).

Kevin Kofler

Old 06-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Kevin Kofler

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Well, but in which way is arch-dependent non-executable data any
> different from private binaries? I see no reason why one should live in
> libdir, and the other in libexecdir.

Arch-dependent libraries need to be multilib (both in lib and lib64), for
executables, only one copy is needed.

Kevin Kofler

Old 06-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Ralf Corsepius

On 06/14/2011 04:02 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Multilib subdirs are arbitrary directory names. There is no convention
>> of them being named "lib*".
>
> There is, it's written in the FHS:
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#LIBLTQUALGTALTERNATEFORMATESSENTIAL
This has nothing to do with multilibs.

FWIW: On most non-intel/non-linux targets, all multilibs are below
/usr/lib and are not prefixed with "lib*".

Ralf

Old 06-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Bill Nottingham

Lennart Poettering (mzerqung@0pointer.de) said:
> > I thinkLennart is saying that on a 64 bit system they would have to go
> > to /usr/lib32
>
> No, there is no /usr/lib32.

Correct. /usr/lib is 32-bit libraries, /usr/lib64 is 64-bit libraries. (*)

My objection to putting 64-bit helper binaries in /usr/lib/<app> would
merely be the problems with configuration that that may imply; such a
change may not be transparent to packages.

Bill

(*) We are ignoring Itanium and Alpha for this conversation, because,
well...