Old 06-08-2011, 05:29 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

Default World IPv6 Day Problems

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 04:53:51PM +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> Ah that's a virtual bridge between your VMs. I'm bridging my VMs to br0
> which is a bridge that includes the host's ethernet interface so that
> the guests have direct access to the local LAN and can see the radvd
> that is running on our gateway router.

Indeed - this is also the way I have libvirt configured, and my guests
are getting IPv6 addresses automatically from radvd running elsewhere
on my LAN.

For reference, here is how I configure the network:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0
DEVICE=br0
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
DELAY=0
NM_CONTROLLED=no

and then I just connect each guest directly to the bridge:

<interface type='bridge'>
<mac address='52:54:00:12:ab:a9'/>
<source bridge='br0'/>
<model type='virtio'/>
</interface>

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Bridged_networking_.28aka_.22shared_phy sical_device.22.29

Rich.

virt-p2v converts physical machines to virtual machines. Boot with a
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v

Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 PM
"Trever L. Adams"

On 06/08/2011 09:53 AM, Tom Hughes wrote:

> Ah that's a virtual bridge between your VMs. I'm bridging my VMs to
> br0 which is a bridge that includes the host's ethernet interface so
> that the guests have direct access to the local LAN and can see the
> radvd that is running on our gateway router.
>
> Tom

I cannot remember what my problem was, but all heck broke loose when I
tried to do it to a real device. So, I am stuck where I am for the time
being.

Trever
--
"But these [serious NT security flaws] are not inherent flaws in the
operating system -- they don't happen by accident. They are the result

Old 06-08-2011, 09:07 PM
"Trever L. Adams"

> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 09:42:22AM -0600, Trever L. Adams wrote:
>>
>> Would you care to share some documentation of some kind?
>>
>> <network>
>> <name>TheCommons</name>
>> <uuid>....</uuid>
>> <forward mode='route'/>
>> <bridge name='virbr0' stp='off' delay='0' />
>> <ip address='10.0.1.1' netmask='255.255.255.0'>
>> </ip>
>> <ip family='ipv6' address='fd00:xxxx:xxxx:1::1' prefix='64'>
>> </ip>
>> <ip family='ipv6' address='2001:xxxx:xxxx:0::1' prefix='64'>
>> </ip>
>> </network>
>>
>> That didn't automatically add any of the ipv6 addresses. As I said, no
>> radvd. If I read the bug reports correctly, it is supposed to be automagic.
> Yes, when you add that <ip family='ipv6'> line and then
> restart the network (virsh net-destroy TheCommons && virsh net-create TheCommons)
> it should have started radvd automatically. The guest should then have automatically
> got an address from radvd. This all works fine in my testing.
Ok, I had rebooted the system to do this before. It did NOT work. Now, I
just did the virsh and it worked. I also had my wlan0 come up without
proper IPv6 when I rebooted even with IPV6INIT=yes in the file for it.

So, even though I restart wlan0 from rc.local, I get this:
Jun 8 14:56:00 HC kernel: [ 14.219624] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0:
link is not ready

So, no IPv6 address. And radvd claims it isn't started and isn't running.

After restarting from rc.local wlan0 has fe80, but not 2001 address
assigned.

However, virbr0 got it right this time.

Thank you,
Trever
--
"One Woman can make you fly like an eagle Another can give you the
strength of a lion But only One in the cycle of life can fill your heart

Old 06-08-2011, 09:31 PM
"Trever L. Adams"

In a previous message I had this quote:

"But these [serious NT security flaws] are not inherent flaws in the
operating system -- they don't happen by accident. They are the result
of deliberate and well-thought-out efforts." -- Mike Nash, Microsoft.
The _flaws_ are deliberate?

Someone kindly pointed out that the [] clarification is NOT accurate in the large quote. I found the grammatical error funny.

I apologize for my signature and to Mike Nash for mischaracterize what he said. As this was a recent posting, I figured I should at least apologize here.

Sorry for the noise.

Trever

Old 06-08-2011, 09:51 PM
"Trever L. Adams"

On 06/08/2011 03:07 PM, Trever L. Adams wrote:

> So, even though I restart wlan0 from rc.local, I get this:
> Jun 8 14:56:00 HC kernel: [ 14.219624] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0:
> link is not ready
Does anyone know what would cause this? It takes the IPv4 address fine.
Again, the ifdown/ifup in rc.local get the fe80 address, but not my
configured addresses.

This is Mode=Master with hostapd. This is very strange.

Trever
--
"Honor isn't about making the right choices. It's about dealing with the
consequences." -- Midori Koto

Old 06-09-2011, 05:27 AM
Alexander Boström

ons 2011-06-08 klockan 15:07 -0600 skrev Trever L. Adams:

> After restarting from rc.local wlan0 has fe80, but not 2001 address
> assigned.

I've never used the v6 support in libvirt, so I'm guessing here, but
wlan0 is the physical interface on the host that you're running radvd
on, right? That would pick up router advertisements from the router in
your wireless LAN, if you have one.

I guess if radvd is bound to virbr0 then that interface would pick up an
address from your prefix though.

What is the output of

ip -6 addr

?

/abo

Old 06-09-2011, 07:34 AM
"Trever L. Adams"

On 06/08/2011 11:27 PM, Alexander Boström wrote:

> I've never used the v6 support in libvirt, so I'm guessing here, but
> wlan0 is the physical interface on the host that you're running radvd
> on, right? That would pick up router advertisements from the router in
> your wireless LAN, if you have one.
>
> I guess if radvd is bound to virbr0 then that interface would pick up an
> address from your prefix though.
>
> What is the output of
>
> ip -6 addr
>
> ?
>
> /abo

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. my ifcfg-wlan0 has an IPv6 address that
is supposed to be assigned to wlan0. It isn't. The kernel complains
kernel: [ 13.872649] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

So, in my rc.local script I ifdown/ifup and it fixes it. At first I
thought it didn't, but I had a long running script that ended up before
that ifdown/ifup and so it wasn't taking. Now, the problem is only that
link is not ready junk.

Thank you,
Trever

--
"SMOG: Evidence of lack of faith. It is the result of needing to see
what you breath." -- Harl Adams