Old 06-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Amit Saha

Default RFC: Fedora Scientific release

Hello:

As an effort to avoid installing the same packages (like latex, emacs,
gnuplot..) everytime I do a fresh install of a Linux distro, I decided
to create a Fedora spin to cater the users who use Linux as their main
workstation to help them in their research.

I see from [1] that a Fedora "Spin for Science" is in the Ideas
section. However, the SciTech mailng list seems deactivated at the
moment and hence I had some discussions on the Release Engineering
mailing list [2].

At this point of time, here is what I have (based on the suggestions
by Bill Nottingham): An updated 'comps-f16-xml.in' whose current
version is at [3] and based on that a possible kickstart script[4].

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions appreciated.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/SciTech
[2] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/rel-eng/2011-June/012301.html
[3] https://bitbucket.org/amitksaha/custom_linux/src/c94686fe43fe/comps-f16.xml.in
[4] https://bitbucket.org/amitksaha/custom_linux/src/c94686fe43fe/fedora-live-scientific.ks

Cheers,
Amit

Old 06-06-2011, 04:51 PM

On , Amit Saha <droidery@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello:
>

> As an effort to avoid installing the same packages (like latex, emacs,
>
> gnuplot..) everytime I do a fresh install of a Linux distro, I decided
>
> to create a Fedora spin to cater the users who use Linux as their main
>
> workstation to help them in their research.
>

> I see from [1] that a Fedora "Spin for Science" is in the Ideas
>
> section. However, the SciTech mailng list seems deactivated at the
>
> moment and hence I had some discussions on the Release Engineering
>
> mailing list [2].
>

> At this point of time, here is what I have (based on the suggestions
>
> by Bill Nottingham): An updated 'comps-f16-xml.in' whose current
>
> version is at [3] and based on that a possible kickstart script[4].
>

> Any thoughts/comments/suggestions appreciated.
>

> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/SciTech
>
> [2] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/rel-eng/2011-June/012301.html
>
> [3] https://bitbucket.org/amitksaha/custom_linux/src/c94686fe43fe/comps-f16.xml.in
>
> [4] https://bitbucket.org/amitksaha/custom_linux/src/c94686fe43fe/fedora-live-scientific.ks
>

> Cheers,
>
> Amit

Amit, I would be keen to help with this spin. The SciTech SIG seems to be dead making it a little difficult for scientists to find common ground on the project.

Andrew--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org