Old 04-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Tom Lane

Default No sleep-on-lid-close with F-15 beta KDE?

Having been not terribly impressed with GNOME 3 in F-15 alpha, I thought
I'd try installing the beta with KDE, just to see if the grass is any
greener. I'm still trying to find my way around that one too, but
I've run into one significant problem: when I close my laptop, the
machine doesn't go to sleep. (The sleep indicator light doesn't go on,
I can still ssh into it, it stays rather warmer than it should, etc.)
Is this:

1. An F-15 bug (and if so, which component ought I file it against)?
2. Expected behavior/missing feature for KDE?
3. My own ignorance about how to configure KDE? (I did look into the
power management settings, which seem remarkably over-engineered
and don't offer any clear "sleep" option...)

regards, tom lane

Old 04-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Rex Dieter

Tom Lane wrote:

> 1. An F-15 bug (and if so, which component ought I file it against)?

Something here. The expectation is the system to go to sleep (mine does).

-- Rex

Old 04-30-2011, 09:32 AM
David Howells

Tom Lane <tgl@redhat.com> wrote:

> Having been not terribly impressed with GNOME 3 in F-15 alpha, I thought
> I'd try installing the beta with KDE, just to see if the grass is any
> greener. I'm still trying to find my way around that one too, but
> I've run into one significant problem: when I close my laptop, the
> machine doesn't go to sleep. (The sleep indicator light doesn't go on,
> I can still ssh into it, it stays rather warmer than it should, etc.)
> Is this:

Do you still have the power plugged in? Under F-14 my laptop doesn't go to
sleep when the lid is shut if the power is still connected - and then doesn't
go to sleep thereafter when the power is removed:-/

Also, do you have the appropriate kernel module loaded to capture events such
as lid closure? I believe this is handled on ThinkPads, for example, by the
thinkpad_acpi module.

David

Old 04-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Rajeesh K Nambiar

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:00 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@redhat.com> wrote:
> Having been not terribly impressed with GNOME 3 in F-15 alpha, I thought
> I'd try installing the beta with KDE, just to see if the grass is any
> greener. *I'm still trying to find my way around that one too, but
> I've run into one significant problem: when I close my laptop, the
> machine doesn't go to sleep. *(The sleep indicator light doesn't go on,
> I can still ssh into it, it stays rather warmer than it should, etc.)

Just to make sure; do you have "Sleep" set "When laptop lid is closed"
under all the relevant Power Profiles?

> Is this:
>
> 1. An F-15 bug (and if so, which component ought I file it against)?
> 2. Expected behavior/missing feature for KDE?
> 3. My own ignorance about how to configure KDE? *(I did look into the
> * power management settings, which seem remarkably over-engineered
> * and don't offer any clear "sleep" option...)

Cheers,
Rajeesh
http://rajeeshknambiar.wordpress.com

Old 04-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Tom Lane

Rajeesh K Nambiar <rajeeshknambiar@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:00 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Having been not terribly impressed with GNOME 3 in F-15 alpha, I thought
>> I'd try installing the beta with KDE, just to see if the grass is any
>> greener. *I'm still trying to find my way around that one too, but
>> I've run into one significant problem: when I close my laptop, the
>> machine doesn't go to sleep. *(The sleep indicator light doesn't go on,
>> I can still ssh into it, it stays rather warmer than it should, etc.)

> Just to make sure; do you have "Sleep" set "When laptop lid is closed"
> under all the relevant Power Profiles?

I hadn't found those settings yesterday, but now I have, and yes they
are set that way. The actual problem appears to be that KDE neglects
to provide sleep-on-close management when no one is logged in. See
bz #700913.

regards, tom lane

Old 04-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Ian Pilcher

On 04/30/2011 01:57 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> I hadn't found those settings yesterday, but now I have, and yes they
> are set that way. The actual problem appears to be that KDE neglects
> to provide sleep-on-close management when no one is logged in. See
> bz #700913.

When no one is logged in, I assume that the "login manager" is in
control, so you could probably get the functionality you want by using
gdm for that purpose while still using KDE.