Old 04-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Phil Knirsch

Default Fedora PPC status & work in progress :)

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to give you all a brief heads up that Fedora on PPC as a
secondary arch is still alive and kicking and no dead horse!

On a more serious note, we've recently been catching up to the current
Fedora 15 packages after PowerPC moved to secondary arch status after
Fedora 12. This took a while, but thanks to pretty powerful builders and
concentrated effort from the PowerPC team we've gotten pretty close to
catching up by now.

The current focus is to get the installer to work properly again. With
the switch to Lorax, the new unified initrd and other changes we hit a
few problems recently, but at least we've had a successful install with
the latest mash trees on a Power7 machine recently via DVD [1].

Discussions are still ongoing on how to solve the unified initrd size
problem though as currently for Power6 or Power5 the new initrd is just
too large to ever work, even if it would be better compressed. So we
might have to go back to a 2 stage install process for PowerPC at least,
but very likely with a dracut based 1st stage then.

Due to these installer problems we're probably not going to be able to
have an official PowerPC release for Fedora 15, but the goal is to
definitely get it done for Fedora 16.

Thanks to everyone working on getting PowerPC in Fedora back into shape!

For more information, feel free to visit the Fedora PowerPC wiki:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/PowerPC

Thanks & regards, Phil

[1] http://ppc.koji.fedoraproject.org/mnt/koji/scratch/karsten/iso/

--
Philipp Knirsch | Tel.: +49-711-96437-470
Supervisor Core Services | Fax.: +49-711-96437-111

Old 04-28-2011, 01:32 PM
David Woodhouse

On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 15:31 +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > Due to these installer problems we're probably not going to be able to
> > have an official PowerPC release for Fedora 15, but the goal is to
> > definitely get it done for Fedora 16.
>
> Am I interpreting this right that this effctively means we will have
> to run a new installation on PPC machines currently runninc F12?

Well, if you want to do a yum update, you don't *need* the installer
initrd to work

There's no real reason you shouldn't be able to update to the F15
packages even without an installer, surely?

--
dwmw2

Old 04-28-2011, 01:32 PM
David Woodhouse

Old 04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Josh Boyer

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 9:32 AM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 15:31 +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> > Due to these installer problems we're probably not going to be able to
>> > have an official PowerPC release for Fedora 15, but the goal is to
>> > definitely get it done for Fedora 16.
>>
>> Am I interpreting this right that this effctively means we will have
>> to run a new installation on PPC machines currently runninc F12?
>
> Well, if you want to do a yum update, you don't *need* the installer
> initrd to work
>
> There's no real reason you shouldn't be able to update to the F15
> packages even without an installer, surely?

Aside from the normal hiccups associated with doing yum updates? I'd
be hesitant to suggest doing a yum update from f12 -> f15. That is
quite a gap, and the associated Provides/Obsoletes might not be able
to account for it all.

If one is determined enough it might work though.

josh

Old 04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Josh Boyer

Old 04-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Dennis Gilmore

On Thursday, April 28, 2011 08:32:48 AM David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 15:31 +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > > Due to these installer problems we're probably not going to be able to
> > > have an official PowerPC release for Fedora 15, but the goal is to
> > > definitely get it done for Fedora 16.
> >
> > Am I interpreting this right that this effctively means we will have
> > to run a new installation on PPC machines currently runninc F12?
>
> Well, if you want to do a yum update, you don't *need* the installer
> initrd to work
>
> There's no real reason you shouldn't be able to update to the F15
> packages even without an installer, surely?
Its actually pretty dicey, you would need a fully updated f12 since glibc
requires a 2.6.32 kernel. and with the change from upstart to systemd. ive
seen cases where the yum updated box wouldnt boot. and you cant go back to
the older kernel to poke at things.

Dennis

Old 04-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Dennis Gilmore

Old 04-28-2011, 01:58 PM
David Woodhouse

On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 15:47 +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Did you try it? And did it work? Normally yum will refuse to update
> when you try skipping more than a single version.

Define 'refuse'. It doesn't even *know*, generally.

I *often* update by two releases at a time. Sometimes more.

--
dwmw2

Old 04-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Peter Lemenkov

2011/4/28 Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de>:
> Dear David Woodhouse,
>
> In message <1303997568.2912.117.camel@macbook.infradead.org > you wrote:
>>
>> There's no real reason you shouldn't be able to update to the F15
>> packages even without an installer, surely?
>
> Did you try it? *And did it work? *Normally yum will refuse to update
> when you try skipping more than a single version.

I tried - it almost works (you need to turn selinux into a permissive
mode before upgrade and it will require relabeling before turning it
on again).

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.