Old 04-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Jerry James

Default Retiring perl-Text-Aspell

I would like to invoke the EOL process for perl-Text-Aspell in
Rawhide. I will continue to maintain it in Fedora through the F-15
lifecycle, and in EPEL through the EPEL 6 lifecycle. The package is
already semi-crippled in EPEL 6, since only the aspell-en and
aspell-sk dictionaries are available in RHEL 6.

The packages that depend on perl-Text-Aspell in Rawhide are:
acheck
moodle
xinha

The packages that depend on perl-Text-Aspell in EPEL 6 are:
moodle

These packages should be migrated to perl-Text-Hunspell. I will wait
1 week before retiring perl-Text-Aspell in Rawhide to give the
maintainers of these packages a chance to decide what to do. If one
of you would like to take over maintenance, I will orphan the package
instead of retiring it.

Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/

Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Jon Ciesla

Jerry James wrote:
> I would like to invoke the EOL process for perl-Text-Aspell in
> Rawhide. I will continue to maintain it in Fedora through the F-15
> lifecycle, and in EPEL through the EPEL 6 lifecycle. The package is
> already semi-crippled in EPEL 6, since only the aspell-en and
> aspell-sk dictionaries are available in RHEL 6.
>
> The packages that depend on perl-Text-Aspell in Rawhide are:
> acheck
> moodle
> xinha
>
> The packages that depend on perl-Text-Aspell in EPEL 6 are:
> moodle
>
> These packages should be migrated to perl-Text-Hunspell. I will wait
> 1 week before retiring perl-Text-Aspell in Rawhide to give the
> maintainers of these packages a chance to decide what to do. If one
> of you would like to take over maintenance, I will orphan the package
> instead of retiring it.
>
> Regards,

Hi, moodle maintainer.

I just took a quick look through 2.0.2, and I don't see where the
limited Perl present uses perl-text-aspell, so it may just be a
hard-coded Requires that I can drop. Can someone with stronger Perl-Fu
take a gander and confirm this for me, please?

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie

Old 04-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Jerry James

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Jon Ciesla <limb@jcomserv.net> wrote:
> Hi, moodle maintainer.
>
> I just took a quick look through 2.0.2, and I don't see where the limited
> Perl present uses perl-text-aspell, so it may just be a hard-coded Requires
> that I can drop. *Can someone with stronger Perl-Fu take a gander and
> confirm this for me, please?
>
> -J
>
> --
> in your fear, seek only peace
> in your fear, seek only love
>
> -d. bowie

Agreed. It looks like moodle is invoking aspell directly, rather than
via perl-Text-Aspell. Somewhat ironically, I created the
perl-Text-Aspell package in the first place because it was embedded in
the moodle sources, and I was the moodle maintainer at the time (some
4 years ago).

You may want to look at changing moodle to use hunspell anyway, due to
the limited number of aspell dictionaries available in RHEL 6.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/

Old 04-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Kevin Kofler

Jerry James wrote:
> You may want to look at changing moodle to use hunspell anyway, due to
> the limited number of aspell dictionaries available in RHEL 6.

Yeah, aspell needs to die, everything in Fedora has been supposed to use
Hunspell since Fedora 9:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureDictionary

Kevin Kofler