Old 04-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Jos Vos

Default F15 and Broadcom BCM4313

Hi,

I'm testing a netbook using the F15 Beta Live image. That netbook has
a Broadcom BCM4313 wifi chipset, of which I can find several problem
reports and the same number of answers, with or without success reports.

The lspci -v output (I've zeroed the S/N in the output):

02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
Subsystem: Device 1a3b:2047
Memory at fbffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information: Len=78 <?>
Capabilities: [48] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
Capabilities: [16c] Power Budgeting <?>

Two questions:

- Can I get this chip working (as a test) using the Live USB-stick, so
that I can verify the correct working without actually installing
Fedora on the disk? (Wired Ethernet is working to retrieve external
stuff when needed.)

- Is this chipset expected to start working without any additional
tweaks during the F15 life cycle?

Thx,

--
-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364

Old 04-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Matthew Garrett

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 04:03:16PM +0200, Jos Vos wrote:

> - Can I get this chip working (as a test) using the Live USB-stick, so
> that I can verify the correct working without actually installing
> Fedora on the disk? (Wired Ethernet is working to retrieve external
> stuff when needed.)

No.

> - Is this chipset expected to start working without any additional
> tweaks during the F15 life cycle?

If support for it appears outside the staging tree.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 04-27-2011, 02:31 PM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

On 04/27/2011 02:21 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 04:03:16PM +0200, Jos Vos wrote:
>
>> > - Can I get this chip working (as a test) using the Live USB-stick, so
>> > that I can verify the correct working without actually installing
>> > Fedora on the disk? (Wired Ethernet is working to retrieve external
>> > stuff when needed.)
> No.
I would think you could by creating the live usb with persistant storage
and Install the kernel-devel package and akmods-wl from rpmfusion.

JBG

Old 04-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 15:21 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 04:03:16PM +0200, Jos Vos wrote:
>
> > - Can I get this chip working (as a test) using the Live USB-stick, so
> > that I can verify the correct working without actually installing
> > Fedora on the disk? (Wired Ethernet is working to retrieve external
> > stuff when needed.)
>
> No.
>
> > - Is this chipset expected to start working without any additional
> > tweaks during the F15 life cycle?
>
> If support for it appears outside the staging tree.

In addition to what Matt says, probably the best way to get it working
in F15 for now (pragmatically speaking) is to install the proprietary
'wl' driver from a third party repository (the standard one has it
packaged as kmod-wl / akmod-wl). That driver supports the chip in
question and works, per multiple reports.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Jeffrey Ollie

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:

> In addition to what Matt says, probably the best way to get it working
> in F15 for now (pragmatically speaking) is to install the proprietary
> 'wl' driver from a third party repository (the standard one has it
> packaged as kmod-wl / akmod-wl). That driver supports the chip in
> question and works, per multiple reports.

Yep, I have a HP Mini 5103 with the BCM 4313 chipset and wireless
works just fine once I installed akmod-wl from rpmfusion.

--
Jeff Ollie

Old 04-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Kevin Kofler

Adam Williamson wrote:
> In addition to what Matt says, probably the best way to get it working
> in F15 for now (pragmatically speaking) is to install the proprietary
> 'wl' driver from a third party repository (the standard one has it
> packaged as kmod-wl / akmod-wl). That driver supports the chip in
> question and works, per multiple reports.

RPM Fusion should really be updating its kmod-staging. The package in RPM
Fusion for F15 is ancient and won't even install. A current kmod-staging
would bring Free support for this chipset instead of the proprietary one.

Kevin Kofler

Old 04-28-2011, 01:57 AM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 21:15 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > In addition to what Matt says, probably the best way to get it working
> > in F15 for now (pragmatically speaking) is to install the proprietary
> > 'wl' driver from a third party repository (the standard one has it
> > packaged as kmod-wl / akmod-wl). That driver supports the chip in
> > question and works, per multiple reports.
>
> RPM Fusion should really be updating its kmod-staging. The package in RPM
> Fusion for F15 is ancient and won't even install. A current kmod-staging
> would bring Free support for this chipset instead of the proprietary one.

RPM Fusion is people it needs someone to do it, I guess. I don't know
if there's an active maintainer for that package.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 05-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Jos Vos

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 08:16:40AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> in F15 for now (pragmatically speaking) is to install the proprietary
> 'wl' driver from a third party repository (the standard one has it
> packaged as kmod-wl / akmod-wl). That driver supports the chip in
> question and works, per multiple reports.

Thanks for all replies. I installed F14, added the RPMfusion repos
and installed broadcom-wl and the Broadcom wifi seems to work fine.