-   -   GNOME 3 Fallback Mode (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/519021-gnome-3-fallback-mode.html)

"fkooman@tuxed.net" 04-27-2011 12:33 PM

GNOME 3 Fallback Mode

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Camilo Mesias <camilo@mesias.co.uk> wrote:
> On the other hand it will be awesome when it's finished and possibly
> will remove the need for fallback mode altogether.

Yeah, that and the fix for Intel 945 video used in a lot of netbooks
:-) It works great with just the built in screen, but as soon as you
attach an external display that has a horizontal resolution > 1024 it
breaks, so I need fallback right now.

It is related to 2048x2048 buffer limits in the hardware for 3D.

Quote (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2):
Note that the maximum supported size of the virtual desktop for the
Intel 945GM series of chipset with 3D acceleration enabled, is
2048x2048. The virtual screen can be larger but DRI will be disabled.

(In Fedora 14 this was not so much a problem for use with my external
19" screen as I would just disable the netbook's screen in
gnome-display-properties whenever the external screen attaches. That
way I was able to enable Compiz as long as both screens were not
active at the same time. This does not seem to work in gnome-shell any
more unfortunately.)

François

Adam Jackson 04-27-2011 01:10 PM

GNOME 3 Fallback Mode

On 4/27/11 6:40 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 04/27/2011 11:35 AM, drago01 wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Andrew Haley<aph@redhat.com> wrote:
>>> I'm trying to run F15 beta LiveCD in a virtual machine, but I get
>>> a complaint that GNOME 3 failed to load and is running in fallback
>>> mode. Is there any way to make it work properly when virtualized?
>>
>> Not yet ... the VM has to provide proper 3D acceleration for it to work.
>> Ajax has been working on making it run on software rendering, once his
>> work is finished it should be able to run in VMs.
>
> I see. This is a bit unfortunate from a beta testing point of view: I
> can't be the only one who tests preview releases in a VM.

Lots of things are unfortunate. This is software, after all. I regret
not working on this earlier, since it would probably have saved the
effort invested in fallback mode entirely.

But it's a bit late to mope about it.

- ajax

Andre Robatino 04-27-2011 02:01 PM

GNOME 3 Fallback Mode

drago01 <drago01 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Andrew Haley <aph <at> redhat.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to run F15 beta LiveCD in a virtual machine, but I get
> > a complaint that GNOME 3 failed to load and is running in fallback
> > mode. *Is there any way to make it work properly when virtualized?
>
> Not yet ... the VM has to provide proper 3D acceleration for it to work.
> Ajax has been working on making it run on software rendering, once his
> work is finished it should be able to run in VMs.

I was under the impression that recent VirtualBox releases do provide the
required 3D acceleration pass-through support, but that something on the Fedora
side necessary to use it is missing. Is this correct, and how efficient would
software rendering be, compared to that?

Martin Stransky 04-27-2011 02:27 PM

GNOME 3 Fallback Mode

On 04/27/2011 03:10 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> Lots of things are unfortunate. This is software, after all. I regret
> not working on this earlier, since it would probably have saved the
> effort invested in fallback mode entirely.

I think the fallback mode is a great idea, not everyone is excited by
gnome shell and those people are looking at Xfce.

Adam Jackson 04-27-2011 02:34 PM

GNOME 3 Fallback Mode

On 4/27/11 10:01 AM, Andre Robatino wrote:

> I was under the impression that recent VirtualBox releases do provide the
> required 3D acceleration pass-through support,

They do, or at east they claim to.

> but that something on the Fedora side necessary to use it is missing.

The virtualbox guest additions are not really packageable, last I
checked, because virtualbox upstream doesn't attempt to allow slip
between guest additions and hypervisor: if we were to package them,
they'd only work with a particular vbox hypervisor version, so
installing F15 in a newer-than-F15-contemporary vbox (or F14 in an
F15-contemporary vbox, etc) would have broken video drivers.

I would love to be wrong about this.

> how efficient would software rendering be, compared to that?

Probably less. Depends entirely on what your host drivers implement,
and how well, and on what the guest drivers demand, and how well they're
implemented, and so forth. But assuming all is right with the world,
host-accelerated 3D would almost assuredly be faster than software guest 3D.

- ajax

Andrew Haley 04-27-2011 02:38 PM

GNOME 3 Fallback Mode

On 04/27/2011 02:10 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On 4/27/11 6:40 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
>>>
>>> Not yet ... the VM has to provide proper 3D acceleration for it to work.
>>> Ajax has been working on making it run on software rendering, once his
>>> work is finished it should be able to run in VMs.
>>
>> I see. This is a bit unfortunate from a beta testing point of view: I
>> can't be the only one who tests preview releases in a VM.
>
> Lots of things are unfortunate. This is software, after all. I regret
> not working on this earlier, since it would probably have saved the
> effort invested in fallback mode entirely.

I guess so. I had no idea that the Alpha I was testing was not really
the GNOME 3 shell, although I had received the warning about "fallback
mode". So I had no idea what people were complaining about...

Andrew.

John Reiser 04-27-2011 02:53 PM

GNOME 3 Fallback Mode

On 04/27/2011 07:34 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> But assuming all is right with the world,
> host-accelerated 3D would almost assuredly be faster than software guest 3D.

Does that include host software 3D with a guest that talks hardware 3D?

Adam Jackson 04-27-2011 03:14 PM

GNOME 3 Fallback Mode

On 4/27/11 10:53 AM, John Reiser wrote:
> On 04/27/2011 07:34 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> But assuming all is right with the world,
>> host-accelerated 3D would almost assuredly be faster than software guest 3D.
>
> Does that include host software 3D with a guest that talks hardware 3D?

I have trouble deciphering what you could mean by that.

If you mean "guest passes through to host, host happens to be running
software 3D", that would probably be slower than "guest runs software 3D
directly". It'd be a tradeoff between which side has a more efficient
software implementation, how many CPUs you allocate to the guest, how
expensive your hypercalls are, etc. And it's certainly not a scenario I
was considering in the scope of "all is right with the world".

If you mean "host sets up device passthrough for a guest, but runs
software 3D for itself", that's a thing you could do I guess, but it's
not clear why you'd want to, or what you'd be comparing against to
determine relative speed.

- ajax

Bruno Wolff III 04-27-2011 03:47 PM

GNOME 3 Fallback Mode

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 16:27:13 +0200,
Martin Stransky <stransky@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 04/27/2011 03:10 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > Lots of things are unfortunate. This is software, after all. I regret
> > not working on this earlier, since it would probably have saved the
> > effort invested in fallback mode entirely.
>
> I think the fallback mode is a great idea, not everyone is excited by
> gnome shell and those people are looking at Xfce.

I also am using fallback mode in order to keep using work spaces in the
manner in which I am used to.

"Chris Jones" 04-28-2011 04:11 AM

GNOME 3 Fallback Mode

Regarding whether G3 should even have a fallback mode; of course it should.
At least until it becomes stable. That's a no-brainer.

Regards

--
PHOTO RESOLUTIONS - Photo - Graphic - Web

C and L Jones - Proprietors

ABN: 98 317 740 240
WWW: http://photoresolutions.freehostia.com
@: chrisjones@comcen.com.au or photoresolutions@comcen.com.au

Command lines and Linux terminals are my comfort zone!

OS: openSUSE 11.4
System: Linux 2.6.37.1-1.2 x86_64
Desktop: KDE 4.6.0

OS: Windows XP