Old 04-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Christophe Fergeau

Default GNOME 3 Fallback Mode

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:35:11PM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> Not yet ... the VM has to provide proper 3D acceleration for it to work.
> Ajax has been working on making it run on software rendering, once his
> work is finished it should be able to run in VMs.

For what it's worth, 3D support is a planned feature of spice:
http://spice-space.org/page/Features/Spice3D

Hopefully it will get it soon

Christophe

Old 04-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Bastien Nocera

On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 16:27 +0200, Martin Stransky wrote:
> On 04/27/2011 03:10 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > Lots of things are unfortunate. This is software, after all. I regret
> > not working on this earlier, since it would probably have saved the
> > effort invested in fallback mode entirely.
>
> I think the fallback mode is a great idea, not everyone is excited by
> gnome shell and those people are looking at Xfce.

Except that the fallback mode is a poor-man's shell, not a completely
different environment that will take its own direction.

It's like looking at the picture in the tour guide when standing in
front of the monument. Sure you can do it, but the experience isn't
going to be that interesting.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Andre Robatino

Adam Jackson <ajax <at> redhat.com> writes:

> > how efficient would software rendering be, compared to that?
>
> Probably less. Depends entirely on what your host drivers implement,
> and how well, and on what the guest drivers demand, and how well they're
> implemented, and so forth. But assuming all is right with the world,
> host-accelerated 3D would almost assuredly be faster than software guest 3D.

As a late aside, the recently released VirtualBox 4.0.8 now (sort of, meaning
it's flaky for me) runs Gnome Shell, when 3D acceleration is enabled in the
guest and the 4.0.8 guest additions are installed.