Old 04-26-2011, 08:59 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

Default AutoQA upgrade path failure makes no sense to me

Here is the update:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libguestfs-1.6.2-1.fc13.7

Here's the failed test result:

http://autoqa.fedoraproject.org/results/87921-autotest/qa03.c.fedoraproject.org/upgradepath/results/output.log

This is pretty confusing.

Why does it mention other packages != libguestfs?

It seems to be saying after much head-scratching and decoding that an
update to dist-f14 (ie. the original ancient released version without
updates) would fail, but how could anyone do that?

Rich.

virt-p2v converts physical machines to virtual machines. Boot with a
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v

Old 04-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Adam Williamson

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 21:59 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Here is the update:
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libguestfs-1.6.2-1.fc13.7
>
> Here's the failed test result:
>
> http://autoqa.fedoraproject.org/results/87921-autotest/qa03.c.fedoraproject.org/upgradepath/results/output.log
>
> This is pretty confusing.
>
> Why does it mention other packages != libguestfs?
>
> It seems to be saying after much head-scratching and decoding that an
> update to dist-f14 (ie. the original ancient released version without
> updates) would fail, but how could anyone do that?

By using an F14 DVD, of course. But I'm not sure we're meant to support
such a case, it would rather limit your ability to push updates, so this
may well be some kind of bug. Just wanted to point out that it's
certainly possible to do an update to the original frozen package set of
any release. (You can do it with a net install too by disabling the
updates repo, but I don't know why anyone _would_.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-27-2011, 02:29 AM
Kevin Kofler

Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 21:59 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> It seems to be saying after much head-scratching and decoding that an
>> update to dist-f14 (ie. the original ancient released version without
>> updates) would fail, but how could anyone do that?
>
> By using an F14 DVD, of course.

… which is exactly why I've been saying all the time that the DVD must get
fixed to support enabling the updates repository also for upgrades, not just
for new installs. In fact, I'd even go as far as saying it should REQUIRE
it, not just support it. Upgrading without updates enabled is just broken by
design, it will always lead to breakage. This issue is making DVD upgrades
close to useless. When support for using the updates repository during
installations got added, I thought this eons-old bug would finally be fixed,
but no, the support got added only for fresh installs and not upgrades. :-(
In its current state, IMHO we'd be better off not supporting DVD upgrades at
all. (We could hide the feature behind a magic "upgrade" boot parameter like
RHEL does.) But the best solution would be to fix the bug, not to hide it.

Kevin Kofler

Old 04-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Kamil Paral

> Here is the update:
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libguestfs-1.6.2-1.fc13.7
>
> Here's the failed test result:
>
> http://autoqa.fedoraproject.org/results/87921-autotest/qa03.c.fedoraproject.org/upgradepath/results/output.log
>
> This is pretty confusing.
>
> Why does it mention other packages != libguestfs?

We currently test all pending packages at once. We're working on better presentation of the results.

Of course only libguestfs results are relevant to you.

> It seems to be saying after much head-scratching and decoding that an
> update to dist-f14 (ie. the original ancient released version without
> updates) would fail, but how could anyone do that?

I'm sorry, this is a bug in AutoQA (depcheck test):

https://fedorahosted.org/autoqa/ticket/309

It will be solved in AutoQA 0.4.7, which will be deployed any day now.

Thanks,
Kamil

PS: If you write directly to autoqa-devel list [1] next time, you'll get faster response.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 04:37:50AM -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > Here is the update:
> >
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libguestfs-1.6.2-1.fc13.7
> >
> > Here's the failed test result:
> >
> > http://autoqa.fedoraproject.org/results/87921-autotest/qa03.c.fedoraproject.org/upgradepath/results/output.log
> >
> > This is pretty confusing.
> >
> > Why does it mention other packages != libguestfs?
>
> We currently test all pending packages at once. We're working on better presentation of the results.
>
> Of course only libguestfs results are relevant to you.
>

> > It seems to be saying after much head-scratching and decoding that an
> > update to dist-f14 (ie. the original ancient released version without
> > updates) would fail, but how could anyone do that?
>
> I'm sorry, this is a bug in AutoQA (depcheck test):
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/autoqa/ticket/309
>
> It will be solved in AutoQA 0.4.7, which will be deployed any day now.
>
> Thanks,
> Kamil
>
> PS: If you write directly to autoqa-devel list [1] next time, you'll get faster response.

Thanks for all the answers.

Rich.