Old 04-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Kevin Fenzi

Default talk.fedoraproject.org sunset - 2011-05-05

For many years Fedora infrastructure has been running a
talk.fedoraproject.org asterisk server. This allows contributors to
talk to each other, or send voice mails, etc.

However, it gets very very little usage and also has no one really
maintaining it or fixing issues with it. In the last 130days there have
been a total of 95 calls using the server. There are a number of
outstanding infrastructure tickets on the service that no one has dealt
with. The server running it is running an outdated OS version and
asterisk version.

So, we are going to retire the service on 2011-05-05.

Now, some of you might say: “But I want to use it! what can I do to
save it?” First, as it is now, it’s a waste of a server instance to run
something 24×7 that only processes 1 call every few days. Any plan to
continue the service would HAVE to include some way to increase usage
of the service to make it worth doing. There would also need to be a
group of folks who would help fix issues, enhance the service, help
with updates and so on. A single interested person would be a single
point of failure. If such a group forms and has a plan, please bring it
to the infrastructure list/meetings.

Thanks,

kevin