Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

Default Possible to submit an update without obsoleting?

In general I like the auto-obsoleting feature in Bodhi, but is there a
way to disable it for a particular update?

The reason is that I've got libguestfs-1.10.1-1.fc15 waiting to go
into stable. I've also just built libguestfs-1.10.2-1.fc15 which is a
further update along the upstream stable branch.

If I submit this second update, it will auto-obsolete the first
update. However the first update is perfectly fine in itself, and
more importantly it fixes a dependency problem. If it gets obsoleted
then users will have to wait another 3-4 days in order to get the
dependency fix and won't be able to use the package at all during this
time. My only choice seems to be to not submit the second update at
all, which means no one can test it, and the eventual release of it
will be later than it needs to be. I'd like to "pipeline" the
updates.

This is a general problem with auto-obsoleting if the period between
releases < the period in updates-testing (which is the case in
libguestfs because of our quite rapid release schedule). In the past
I've had chains of updates causing delays to get *any* package out of
3-4 weeks.

Rich.

software inside the virtual machine. Supports Linux and Windows.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/

Old 04-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Frank Murphy

On 24/04/11 11:37, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> In general I like the auto-obsoleting feature in Bodhi, but is there a
> way to disable it for a particular update?

Not an answer to the problem?
But what about a fedorapeople repo?
Ask testers to enable it.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 04-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 11:37:41 +0100, RWMJ wrote:

> In general I like the auto-obsoleting feature in Bodhi, but is there a
> way to disable it for a particular update?
>
> The reason is that I've got libguestfs-1.10.1-1.fc15 waiting to go
> into stable. I've also just built libguestfs-1.10.2-1.fc15 which is a
> further update along the upstream stable branch.
>
> If I submit this second update, it will auto-obsolete the first
> update. However the first update is perfectly fine in itself, and
> more importantly it fixes a dependency problem. If it gets obsoleted
> then users will have to wait another 3-4 days in order to get the
> dependency fix and won't be able to use the package at all during this
> time. My only choice seems to be to not submit the second update at
> all, which means no one can test it, and the eventual release of it
> will be later than it needs to be. I'd like to "pipeline" the
> updates.
>
> This is a general problem with auto-obsoleting if the period between
> releases < the period in updates-testing (which is the case in
> libguestfs because of our quite rapid release schedule). In the past
> I've had chains of updates causing delays to get *any* package out of
> 3-4 weeks.

It sounds as if bodhi would need to stop obsoleting an update that
is "pending -> stable", so you could submit the next test-update a little
bit earlier. Current behaviour (I think) is that bodhi obsoletes
updates until one is "pushed to stable".

Old 04-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Kevin Kofler

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> It sounds as if bodhi would need to stop obsoleting an update that
> is "pending -> stable", so you could submit the next test-update a little
> bit earlier. Current behaviour (I think) is that bodhi obsoletes
> updates until one is "pushed to stable".

Bodhi actually doesn't obsolete an update that's queued for stable.

There's only a problem when you can't queue the previous update for stable
yet because of those darn minimum testing requirements.

Kevin Kofler

Old 04-24-2011, 08:42 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 03:57:00PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > It sounds as if bodhi would need to stop obsoleting an update that
> > is "pending -> stable", so you could submit the next test-update a little
> > bit earlier. Current behaviour (I think) is that bodhi obsoletes
> > updates until one is "pushed to stable".
>
> Bodhi actually doesn't obsolete an update that's queued for stable.

OK, good to know. I'm about to submit an update based on this
knowledge ...

> There's only a problem when you can't queue the previous update for
> stable yet because of those darn minimum testing requirements.

... however as you say there are deeper problems here like the
arbitrary testing period (which is stupid) and the fact that we can't
pipeline updates.

Rich.

virt-p2v converts physical machines to virtual machines. Boot with a
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v