Old 04-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Dennis Gilmore

Default Announcing the release of Fedora 15 Beta!!

The clock is ticking. The days are counting down. The release of
Fedora 15, codenamed "Lovelock," is scheduled for release in late
May. Fedora is the leading edge, free and open source operating
system that continues to deliver innovative features to users
worldwide, with a new release every six months.

We are delighted to announce the availability of the Beta release
of Fedora 15.

"I beta one American dollar that you will love this release!"

Come see why we love Fedora so much. We are betting you will,
too. Download it now: http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease?wkanF15b

== What is the Beta Release? ==

The beta release is the last important milestone of Fedora 15. Only
critical bug fixes will be pushed as updates leading to the general
release of Fedora 15 in May. We invite you to join us in making
Fedora 15 a solid release by downloading, testing, and providing
your valuable feedback.

Of course, this is a beta release, meaning that some problems may still
be lurking. A list of the problems we already know about can be seen on
the Common F15 bugs page, at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F15_bugs.

If you find a bug that's not found on that page, be sure it gets
fixed before release by reporting your discovery at
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/ Thank you!

== Features ==

Desktop enthusiasts and end users of all sorts can look forward to:
* Gnome Shell and the Gnome 3 desktop. Gnome 3 is the next major
version of the Gnome desktop. After many years of a largely
unchanged Gnome 2.x experience, GNOME 3 brings a fresh look
and feel with GNOME Shell.
* LibreOffice Productivity Suite. LibreOffice is a fork of
OpenOffice, with the support of the OpenOffice.org community.
All of the applications you know and love are still there,
including apps for spreadsheets, document creation, and presentations.
* Desktop environments a-plenty. The Xfce and LXDE spins have
been updated, and the Fedora Spins SIG has other offerings
tailored to a wide variety of user needs.

Sysadmins will love features such as:
* Appliance building. BoxGrinder creates appliances (virtual
machines) from simple plain text appliance definition files
for various virtual platforms, and is great for building
appliances for use in a Cloud environment.
* Dynamic Firewall. The dynamic firewall mode aims to make it
possible to change firewall settings without the need to restart
the firewall and to make persistent connections possible.

Coders have lots of new development tools to try out, including:
* Updates to popular languages. Python 3.2, Rails 3.0.3, and
OCaml 3.12 are all included in Fedora 15.
* Project tooling. Maven 3 is a Java project management, project
comprehension, and build system tool.
* Compiling and debugging. GDB gets an update to 7.3, and GCC
4.6 is included. (Fedora 15 has also been rebuilt using GCC 4.6!)

And that's only the beginning. A more complete list and details of
all the new features in Fedora 15 is available here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/15/FeatureList

We have nightly composes of alternate spins available here:
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/

== Contributing ==

For more information on common and known bugs, tips on how to report
bugs, and the official release schedule, please refer to the release
notes at http://docs.fedoraproject.org.

There are many ways to contribute beyond bug reporting. You can help
translate software and content, test and give feedback on software
updates, write and edit documentation, help with all sorts of promotional
activities, and package free software for use by millions of Fedora
users worldwide. To get started, visit http://join.fedoraproject.org today!

Old 04-21-2011, 05:34 AM
Jens Petersen

> Coders have lots of new development tools to try out, including:
> * Updates to popular languages. Python 3.2, Rails 3.0.3, and
> OCaml 3.12 are all included in Fedora 15.

If we are going to mention OCaml then to be fair
can we please also mention GHC 7.0.2,
which is major new version upgrade since F14?

Jens

Old 04-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Jens Petersen

> > * Updates to popular languages. Python 3.2, Rails 3.0.3, and
> > OCaml 3.12 are all included in Fedora 15.
>
> If we are going to mention OCaml then to be fair
> can we please also mention GHC 7.0.2,
> which is major new version upgrade since F14?

Ok that is probably me failing to follow the feature process... :-/

I may try to open a FESCo ticket asking if they might post-approve
the completed GHC70 feature. Also it might be better to mention
haskell-platform-2011.2.

Jens

Old 04-21-2011, 10:09 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 03:42:02AM -0400, Jens Petersen wrote:
> > > * Updates to popular languages. Python 3.2, Rails 3.0.3, and
> > > OCaml 3.12 are all included in Fedora 15.
> >
> > If we are going to mention OCaml then to be fair
> > can we please also mention GHC 7.0.2,
> > which is major new version upgrade since F14?
>
> Ok that is probably me failing to follow the feature process... :-/
>
> I may try to open a FESCo ticket asking if they might post-approve
> the completed GHC70 feature. Also it might be better to mention
> haskell-platform-2011.2.

There was a GHC feature in the list at one point .. it seems to have
disappeared.

The other thing I had to do in order to get the OCaml feature actually
added to the release notes was edit the documentation beats page and
offer myself as a maintainer:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats

However I see that you are already listed as the Haskell maintainer
there so you should be good to go.

Rich.

libguestfs lets you edit virtual machines. Supports shell scripting,
bindings from many languages. http://libguestfs.org

Old 04-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Ralf Corsepius

On 04/19/2011 04:50 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> The clock is ticking. The days are counting down. The release of
> Fedora 15, codenamed "Lovelock," is scheduled for release in late
> May. Fedora is the leading edge, free and open source operating
> system that continues to deliver innovative features to users
> worldwide, with a new release every six months.
>
> We are delighted to announce the availability of the Beta release
> of Fedora 15.
>
> "I beta one American dollar that you will love this release!"

I presume, I am supposed to love the broken deps, these anaconda dumps
and this silly Win95-ish "Oh no!,..." screens of death?

All three happened to me, when trying this Beta, yesterday

Ralf

Old 04-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/21/2011 05:36 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> I presume, I am supposed to love the broken deps, these anaconda dumps
> and this silly Win95-ish "Oh no!,..." screens of death?
>
> All three happened to me, when trying this Beta, yesterday

Filing bug reports is helpful and what one is supposed to do under such
circumstances. If you want to discuss issues, use the test list instead

Rahul

Old 04-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/21/2011 11:04 AM, Jens Petersen wrote:
>> Coders have lots of new development tools to try out, including:
>> * Updates to popular languages. Python 3.2, Rails 3.0.3, and
>> OCaml 3.12 are all included in Fedora 15.
> If we are going to mention OCaml then to be fair
> can we please also mention GHC 7.0.2,
> which is major new version upgrade since F14?

It is not a question of fairness. If you want any feature to be
advertised use the feature list or help out by editing the release
notes. There are thousands of changes and documentation team cannot
keep up with what is important or not unless the people working on
something tell us.

Rahul

Old 04-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Marcela Mašláňová

On 04/21/2011 03:29 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 04/21/2011 05:36 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>
>> I presume, I am supposed to love the broken deps, these anaconda dumps
>> and this silly Win95-ish "Oh no!,..." screens of death?
>>
>> All three happened to me, when trying this Beta, yesterday
>
> Filing bug reports is helpful and what one is supposed to do under such
> circumstances. If you want to discuss issues, use the test list instead
>
> Rahul

Branched report with number of missing requires goes on fedora-devel and
to maintainers of those packages, so they must be aware of it. The list
is shorter than it was before beta but there's still lot of packages. Do
we want to release it as it is?

--
Marcela Mašláňová
BaseOS team Brno

Old 04-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/21/2011 07:21 PM, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
> Branched report with number of missing requires goes on fedora-devel and
> to maintainers of those packages, so they must be aware of it. The list
> is shorter than it was before beta but there's still lot of packages. Do
> we want to release it as it is?

Ralf didn't merely mention broken deps. He also talked about some
Anaconda issue and what I figure is a GNOME Shell issue. So yes bug
reports are still warranted for those. Any help is welcome in fixing
broken deps as well, of course.

Rahul