FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-18-2011, 11:44 PM
Jesse Keating
 
Default Update of fedpkg coming to handle new branch names

As part of https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dist_Git_Branch_Proposal I
have prepared an update to fedora-packager (the package that holds
fedpkg); 0.5.9.0-1. This update contains code to handle repositories
that are in the old naming style as well as the new style. It also has
code to detect when the new naming style goes into effect, and a helper
script to convert existing clones to the new naming style.

My plan is to let this version go through -testing and into stable for a
period of time (week~?) and then do the conversion on the live repos.
During the time this update is in -testing and stable I invite anybody
who is willing to help me verify that things will be ready for the
switch. I still have use of pkgs.stg.fedoraproject.org that I will be
syncing up and doing another conversion run on to fine tune the
conversion script and can use that to test how fedpkg will react.

Please let me know if any issues arise with this update or if you are
willing to help me test the conversion functionality. Thanks!

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Severin Gehwolf
 
Default Update of fedpkg coming to handle new branch names

Hi,

On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 16:44 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> As part of https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dist_Git_Branch_Proposal I
> have prepared an update to fedora-packager (the package that holds
> fedpkg); 0.5.9.0-1. This update contains code to handle repositories
> that are in the old naming style as well as the new style. It also has
> code to detect when the new naming style goes into effect, and a helper
> script to convert existing clones to the new naming style.

Could you please clarify what exactly is changing? Are remote branch
names going to change to, say "f15" (instead of "f15/master"). Will this
be untouched, but working on a feature branch, say
"f15-my-cool-new-feature", will allow me to push builds to koji (say
"dist-f15-updates-canditate" as default) by using $ fedpkg build?

> My plan is to let this version go through -testing and into stable for a
> period of time (week~?) and then do the conversion on the live repos.
> During the time this update is in -testing and stable I invite anybody
> who is willing to help me verify that things will be ready for the
> switch. I still have use of pkgs.stg.fedoraproject.org that I will be
> syncing up and doing another conversion run on to fine tune the
> conversion script and can use that to test how fedpkg will react.

Is there a way to test this change right now? If so what are the precise
steps I'd have to carry out? I've tried to clone a few packages from
pkgs.stg.fedoraproject.org, but didn't see any change in remote branch
naming scheme.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,
Severin

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Jesse Keating
 
Default Update of fedpkg coming to handle new branch names

On 4/19/11 12:35 PM, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 16:44 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> As part of https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dist_Git_Branch_Proposal I
>> have prepared an update to fedora-packager (the package that holds
>> fedpkg); 0.5.9.0-1. This update contains code to handle repositories
>> that are in the old naming style as well as the new style. It also has
>> code to detect when the new naming style goes into effect, and a helper
>> script to convert existing clones to the new naming style.
>
> Could you please clarify what exactly is changing? Are remote branch
> names going to change to, say "f15" (instead of "f15/master").

Yes, remote branch names are changing, we are removing the "/master",
simplifying to just "f15".

> Will this
> be untouched, but working on a feature branch, say
> "f15-my-cool-new-feature", will allow me to push builds to koji (say
> "dist-f15-updates-canditate" as default) by using $ fedpkg build?

Right now you can call your local branch whatever you want. If it
tracks the origin/f15 then it will submit builds to
dist-f15-updates-candidate.

As far as remote branch name, currently fedpkg will only match with base
branch names, eg "f15" or "f15/master". Attempts to build from
"f15-my-cool-new-feature" would result in a prompt to use the --dist
flag to clarify which distribution you wish to build for.

>
>> My plan is to let this version go through -testing and into stable for a
>> period of time (week~?) and then do the conversion on the live repos.
>> During the time this update is in -testing and stable I invite anybody
>> who is willing to help me verify that things will be ready for the
>> switch. I still have use of pkgs.stg.fedoraproject.org that I will be
>> syncing up and doing another conversion run on to fine tune the
>> conversion script and can use that to test how fedpkg will react.
>
> Is there a way to test this change right now? If so what are the precise
> steps I'd have to carry out? I've tried to clone a few packages from
> pkgs.stg.fedoraproject.org, but didn't see any change in remote branch
> naming scheme.
>
> Thanks for the clarification.

I have yet to run the conversion script on the stg server again, so
there has been no change on those branch names. Once I do change it you
can adjust the url defined in the
/usr/lib/python*/site-packages/pyfedpkg/__init__.py file. Those that
contact me wishing to test I will coordinate with and provide a helping
hand.


--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Severin Gehwolf
 
Default Update of fedpkg coming to handle new branch names

On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 13:59 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On 4/19/11 12:35 PM, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 16:44 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> >> As part of https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dist_Git_Branch_Proposal I
> >> have prepared an update to fedora-packager (the package that holds
> >> fedpkg); 0.5.9.0-1. This update contains code to handle repositories
> >> that are in the old naming style as well as the new style. It also has
> >> code to detect when the new naming style goes into effect, and a helper
> >> script to convert existing clones to the new naming style.
> >
> > Could you please clarify what exactly is changing? Are remote branch
> > names going to change to, say "f15" (instead of "f15/master").
>
> Yes, remote branch names are changing, we are removing the "/master",
> simplifying to just "f15".
>
> > Will this
> > be untouched, but working on a feature branch, say
> > "f15-my-cool-new-feature", will allow me to push builds to koji (say
> > "dist-f15-updates-canditate" as default) by using $ fedpkg build?
>
> Right now you can call your local branch whatever you want. If it
> tracks the origin/f15 then it will submit builds to
> dist-f15-updates-candidate.
>
> As far as remote branch name, currently fedpkg will only match with base
> branch names, eg "f15" or "f15/master". Attempts to build from
> "f15-my-cool-new-feature" would result in a prompt to use the --dist
> flag to clarify which distribution you wish to build for.

Ok, thanks.

> >
> >> My plan is to let this version go through -testing and into stable for a
> >> period of time (week~?) and then do the conversion on the live repos.
> >> During the time this update is in -testing and stable I invite anybody
> >> who is willing to help me verify that things will be ready for the
> >> switch. I still have use of pkgs.stg.fedoraproject.org that I will be
> >> syncing up and doing another conversion run on to fine tune the
> >> conversion script and can use that to test how fedpkg will react.
> >
> > Is there a way to test this change right now? If so what are the precise
> > steps I'd have to carry out? I've tried to clone a few packages from
> > pkgs.stg.fedoraproject.org, but didn't see any change in remote branch
> > naming scheme.
> >
> > Thanks for the clarification.
>
> I have yet to run the conversion script on the stg server again, so
> there has been no change on those branch names. Once I do change it you
> can adjust the url defined in the
> /usr/lib/python*/site-packages/pyfedpkg/__init__.py file. Those that
> contact me wishing to test I will coordinate with and provide a helping
> hand.

Could you please let us know once the new branch naming scheme is
available on the staging server?

Thanks,
Severin

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Jesse Keating
 
Default Update of fedpkg coming to handle new branch names

On 4/19/11 2:39 PM, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
> Could you please let us know once the new branch naming scheme is
> available on the staging server?

stg has the new branch names for now. The repo content is a bit stale
though.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Severin Gehwolf
 
Default Update of fedpkg coming to handle new branch names

On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 11:33 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On 4/19/11 2:39 PM, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
> > Could you please let us know once the new branch naming scheme is
> > available on the staging server?
>
> stg has the new branch names for now. The repo content is a bit stale
> though.

Thanks, Jesse.

--Severin

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:36 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org