-   -   Fedora 15 / Gnome 3 gotchas (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/514897-fedora-15-gnome-3-gotchas.html)

Camilo Mesias 04-16-2011 10:05 AM

Fedora 15 / Gnome 3 gotchas

Hi,

I made some noises on IRC about people upgrading to F15 (like myself)
who would all come across the same surprises and would have to find a
way to work around them. I suggested it might help to publish
something like release notes but more user oriented, to help to ease
the pain (and to defuse the many questions that will undoubtedly find
their way to the various support forums). At the time no-one seemed to
pick up on the idea.

I wrote a blog post about it, maybe not the best way to help Fedora
users so feel free to take the idea and the content and repackage it
as appropriate.

http://littlethorpe.net/wordpress/?p=334 "Fedora 15 Gnome 3 gotchas"

If nothing else maybe I have included the right words so that users
can Google for 'what the heck happened to my minimise button' or
whatever and find some help.

-Cam

Marius Andreiana 04-18-2011 09:54 PM

Fedora 15 / Gnome 3 gotchas

I wrote a blog post about it, maybe not the best way to help Fedora

users so feel free to take the idea and the content and repackage it

as appropriate.

Thanks, very useful!

Denys Vlasenko 05-06-2011 01:58 PM

Fedora 15 / Gnome 3 gotchas

On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 11:05 +0100, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made some noises on IRC about people upgrading to F15 (like myself)
> who would all come across the same surprises and would have to find a
> way to work around them. I suggested it might help to publish
> something like release notes but more user oriented, to help to ease
> the pain (and to defuse the many questions that will undoubtedly find
> their way to the various support forums). At the time no-one seemed to
> pick up on the idea.
>
> I wrote a blog post about it, maybe not the best way to help Fedora
> users so feel free to take the idea and the content and repackage it
> as appropriate.
>
> http://littlethorpe.net/wordpress/?p=334 "Fedora 15 Gnome 3 gotchas"
>
> If nothing else maybe I have included the right words so that users
> can Google for 'what the heck happened to my minimise button' or
> whatever and find some help.

Gnome 3 is a usability disaster. It added some useful things, yes,
but it also REMOVED some useful things - what a hell!?
Since when is that a valid development practice?
Do we hate our users or what?

--
vda

Frank Murphy 05-06-2011 02:03 PM

Fedora 15 / Gnome 3 gotchas

On 06/05/11 14:58, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
<snip>

> Gnome 3 is a usability disaster. It added some useful things, yes,
> but it also REMOVED some useful things - what a hell!?
> Since when is that a valid development practice?
> Do we hate our users or what?

Any plans for a gui replacement for gnome-schedule?

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Michael Cronenworth 05-06-2011 04:17 PM