Old 05-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Camilo Mesias

Default Fedora 15 / Gnome 3 gotchas

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's entertaining already to see how people [try to] leave Ubuntu because
> of Unity, and to hear that they like Fedora 15's GNOME 3 better.

I did think of commenting that Gnome3 seemed comparable in scope to
the change to Unity, but was better executed (in the sense that I'd
heard more outrage about Unity). But it may be too early to say.

I do wonder what will happen to Ubuntu and Fedora if say, Chrome OS or
Android become viable for netbooks / laptops. I'm sure a lot of people
wanting a stable, slick, functional client machine for everyday use
would be attracted. So really Gnome and Ubuntu / Fedora have to try to
look modern and attractive to survive.

-Cam

Old 05-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Denys Vlasenko wrote:

> Gnome 3 is a usability disaster.

I rather like Gnome3. I am a KDE user and through Gnome3, I have managed to
discover all kinds of things in KDE that I never knew were there or never knew
how to use. Gnome3 is kind of like a simplified KDE4 (imagine a different
activity on each virtual desktop and no plasmoids and no desktop layouts, just
straight, with wallpaper and nothing else).