-   -   PPA-like Structure (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/514710-ppa-like-structure.html)

Eric Mesa 04-15-2011 06:02 PM

PPA-like Structure

I'm not sure if this is the right place to bring this up, but given the new high-speed development of Firefox - is Fedora going to stick with the plan of keeping on FF major release number per six months?*

Ubuntu has the PPA scheme, but I think that's "dangerous" in that it gets people to d/l from personal repositories and negates the benefit of signed packages in official repos.*

At the same time, I understand the need for Fedora releases to be released with a target set of tested programs.* And that's why we don't go up in Kernels and other major programs during each release.* And I think that's the right way to go for the majority of the programs, but perhaps not all of them.

Anyway, should I open up a wish bug on bugzilla or is this the best place to bring this up?* (or somewhere else?)

Thanks!--
Eric Mesa
http://www.ericsbinaryworld.com

Bill Nottingham 04-15-2011 06:15 PM

PPA-like Structure

Eric Mesa (ericsbinaryworld@gmail.com) said:
> I'm not sure if this is the right place to bring this up, but given the new
> high-speed development of Firefox - is Fedora going to stick with the plan
> of keeping on FF major release number per six months?
>
> Ubuntu has the PPA scheme, but I think that's "dangerous" in that it gets
> people to d/l from personal repositories and negates the benefit of signed
> packages in official repos.
>
> At the same time, I understand the need for Fedora releases to be released
> with a target set of tested programs. And that's why we don't go up in
> Kernels and other major programs during each release. And I think that's
> the right way to go for the majority of the programs, but perhaps not all of
> them.
>
> Anyway, should I open up a wish bug on bugzilla or is this the best place to
> bring this up? (or somewhere else?)

There's a standing FESCo ticket for a feature updates repo, but it's yet
to go into testing or production. Is that something that would suit your
needs?

Bill