Old 04-13-2011, 01:40 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Default browser is no longer read from prefs

On 04/13/2011 06:47 AM, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> commit 7986a8567a9dbb2a6f8187b91a021d5ad350f96f
> Author: Christopher Aillon <caillon@redhat.com>
> Date: Tue Apr 12 18:15:07 2011 -0700
>
> Default browser is no longer read from prefs
>
> It's read from the system. Too bad that means GConf for now...
>
> This means the open browser script isn't used either, so kill that.

This should go into the desktop beat for the release notes along with
the gconf key needed.

Rahul

Old 04-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Christopher Aillon

On 04/12/2011 06:40 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 04/13/2011 06:47 AM, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>> commit 7986a8567a9dbb2a6f8187b91a021d5ad350f96f
>> Author: Christopher Aillon<caillon@redhat.com>
>> Date: Tue Apr 12 18:15:07 2011 -0700
>>
>> Default browser is no longer read from prefs
>>
>> It's read from the system. Too bad that means GConf for now...
>>
>> This means the open browser script isn't used either, so kill that.
>
> This should go into the desktop beat for the release notes along with
> the gconf key needed.

No. This has been the case since Fedora 11, actually. It just didn't
matter since gconf was where the defaults were kept anyway, and
gnome-default-application-preferences set the gconf keys, and it never
got cleaned out.

Now, we're setting _gsettings_ keys in control center, so those gconf
keys aren't getting updated when the user toggles that. But it doesn't
matter. I pushed an update to the default gconf values to launch
gvfs-open as the default browser which will read the values out of
gsettings.

This should all be transparent to the user, no need to document stuff
that just works.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Steve Clark

On 04/13/2011 03:26 AM, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> On 04/12/2011 06:40 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> On 04/13/2011 06:47 AM, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>>> commit 7986a8567a9dbb2a6f8187b91a021d5ad350f96f
>>> Author: Christopher Aillon<caillon@redhat.com>
>>> Date: Tue Apr 12 18:15:07 2011 -0700
>>>
>>> Default browser is no longer read from prefs
>>>
>>> It's read from the system. Too bad that means GConf for now...
>>>
>>> This means the open browser script isn't used either, so kill that.
>>
>> This should go into the desktop beat for the release notes along with
>> the gconf key needed.
>
> No. This has been the case since Fedora 11, actually. It just didn't
> matter since gconf was where the defaults were kept anyway, and
> gnome-default-application-preferences set the gconf keys, and it never
> got cleaned out.
>
> Now, we're setting _gsettings_ keys in control center, so those gconf
> keys aren't getting updated when the user toggles that. But it doesn't
> matter. I pushed an update to the default gconf values to launch
> gvfs-open as the default browser which will read the values out of
> gsettings.
>
> This should all be transparent to the user, no need to document stuff
> that just works.
I think that is the wrong attitude! Because at some point it is going to break
and the poor enduser is going to have no idea why. This is the Microsoft attitude.

--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*

Old 04-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/13/2011 04:31 PM, Steve Clark wrote:
> I think that is the wrong attitude! Because at some point it is going to break
> and the poor enduser is going to have no idea why. This is the Microsoft attitude.

Implementation details are usually something that upstream developers
worry about more. At a distribution level, we tend to prioritize end
user documentation. If anyone wants to do more, volunteer to do so.
That is the open source attitude,

Rahul

Old 04-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Kevin Kofler

Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Now, we're setting _gsettings_ keys in control center, so those gconf
> keys aren't getting updated when the user toggles that. But it doesn't
> matter. I pushed an update to the default gconf values to launch
> gvfs-open as the default browser which will read the values out of
> gsettings.

Shouldn't we use xdg-open instead of gvfs-open? xdg-open will do the right
thing also under other desktop environments.

Kevin Kofler

Old 04-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Christopher Aillon

On 04/13/2011 04:01 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
> On 04/13/2011 03:26 AM, Christopher Aillon wrote:

>>> This should go into the desktop beat for the release notes along with
>>> the gconf key needed.
>>
>> No. This has been the case since Fedora 11, actually. It just didn't
>> matter since gconf was where the defaults were kept anyway, and
>> gnome-default-application-preferences set the gconf keys, and it never
>> got cleaned out.
>>
>> Now, we're setting _gsettings_ keys in control center, so those gconf
>> keys aren't getting updated when the user toggles that. But it doesn't
>> matter. I pushed an update to the default gconf values to launch
>> gvfs-open as the default browser which will read the values out of
>> gsettings.
>>
>> This should all be transparent to the user, no need to document stuff
>> that just works.

> I think that is the wrong attitude! Because at some point it is going to
> break
> and the poor enduser is going to have no idea why. This is the Microsoft
> attitude.

Wow. Talk about the wrong attitude, making random sensationalist
accusations ...

Removing the preference is in itself not a functional change that I feel
warrants documentation, especially since I don't think we had
documentation telling people to use the preferences in the past.

Thunderbird has not used this preference for over 2 years, going back to
F11 beta. Thunderbird has been using GConf for those same 2 years.
Removing our setting of these prefs does absolutely nothing. It would
be the exact same thing as if I removed an #if 0 block of code. I would
also say we should not document that.

What did change is something entirely different and unrelated to this
commit: we're now using GSettings instead of GConf for everything in the
desktop. The switch to GSettings is already covered elsewhere in
documentation.

Anything that reads from GConf needs to switch to GSettings and will
have some things not function properly until they do. That includes
Thunderbird, XChat, Pidgin, among others.

These GConf things that will break include things such as the network
proxy settings, whether or not accessibility is enabled, and the default
web browser application.

The default web browser is easy to take care of though, since the end
goal is to launch a program. Instead of having gconf launch a default
browser, it will launch an program which reads the correct default out
of GSettings, and then launch that. I already made that change. So
this specific one probably doesn't need documentation.

Other things about GConf <-> GSettings probably needs documentation,
which I believe should already be known/handled, but again, I do not
feel that the specific commit that Rahul referenced does.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:56 AM
Ben Boeckel

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> wrote:
> Christopher Aillon wrote:
>> Now, we're setting _gsettings_ keys in control center, so those gconf
>> keys aren't getting updated when the user toggles that. But it doesn't
>> matter. I pushed an update to the default gconf values to launch
>> gvfs-open as the default browser which will read the values out of
>> gsettings.
>
> Shouldn't we use xdg-open instead of gvfs-open? xdg-open will do the right
> thing also under other desktop environments.

Eh. Sort of. The $BROWSER envvar needs to be set for non-KDE, non-GNOME,
non-XFCE, non-LXDE(?) environments. And for me, the browser is a
browser, not a universal launcher for umpteen thousand other
applications.

I'd really like to see some way to associate mimetypes with applications
in a general way. $HOME/.config/xdg/mime/ seems as good of a place to me
for this. Symlinking $XDG_MIME_DIR/$mimetype to an application .desktop
file (verifying that mimetypes match) is also fine by me. xdg-open could
then just to the right thing itself and not shuttle things off to
DE-specific tools or assume that the browser is a swiss army knife.

I'd also like to see "mainstream" browsers (Firefox and Chromium, I'm
looking at you; Konqueror already defers to KDE's database which should
itself defer to what I'd like xdg-open to become) to use this on Linux
and not their own databases. If this has changed since I've last used
these browsers day-to-day, that's great.

--Ben