FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Michał Piotrowski
 
Default ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2011.4.12

Hi,

Ntfs-3 and ntfsprogs codebases were merged into one
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=27338863

Is there a chance to get this for F15? I do not know how it looks from
the Fedora maintainers POV, but the transition to the newer version
should benefit in the future - ntfs-3g updates for F15.

--
Best regards,
Michal

http://eventhorizon.pl/
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Tom Callaway
 
Default ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2011.4.12

On 04/12/2011 10:36 AM, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ntfs-3 and ntfsprogs codebases were merged into one
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=27338863
>
> Is there a chance to get this for F15? I do not know how it looks from
> the Fedora maintainers POV, but the transition to the newer version
> should benefit in the future - ntfs-3g updates for F15.

I'm waiting on an email from the ntfsprogs upstream to make sure this is
a legitimate merger and not a hostile takeover.

~tom

==
Fedora Project
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-15-2011, 02:00 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"
 
Default ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2011.4.12

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 03:20:02PM -0400, Tom Callaway wrote:
> On 04/12/2011 10:36 AM, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Ntfs-3 and ntfsprogs codebases were merged into one
> > http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=27338863
> >
> > Is there a chance to get this for F15? I do not know how it looks from
> > the Fedora maintainers POV, but the transition to the newer version
> > should benefit in the future - ntfs-3g updates for F15.
>
> I'm waiting on an email from the ntfsprogs upstream to make sure this is
> a legitimate merger and not a hostile takeover.

Hmmmm ... You've pushed this combined package to F13, F14, F15 and
Rawhide.

I thought F15 was supposed to be frozen, and is such a big change good
for F13 and F14?

Well in any case it's happened, but I can't rebuild libguestfs in F15.
I get[1]:

DEBUG util.py:247: Error: No Package found for ntfsprogs

which seems strange because it should be provided by the new combined
package.

Rich.

[1] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=3001866

--
Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat http://people.redhat.com/~rjones
virt-top is 'top' for virtual machines. Tiny program with many
powerful monitoring features, net stats, disk stats, logging, etc.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Tom Callaway
 
Default ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2011.4.12

On 04/15/2011 10:00 AM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Well in any case it's happened, but I can't rebuild libguestfs in F15.
> I get[1]:
>
> DEBUG util.py:247: Error: No Package found for ntfsprogs
>
> which seems strange because it should be provided by the new combined
> package.

Hmm. It looks like dist-f15-build doesn't inherit from
dist-f15-updates-testing (which makes sense). When I migrated ntfsprogs
into an ntfs-3g subpackage, I retired the ntfsprogs standalone package
and had it blocked from F15+. So, right now, we're in a window between
the ntfs-3g package going into dist-f15-updates and the ntfsprogs
standalone block.

If you can't wait, you can request an buildroot override tag for
ntfs-3g-2011.4.12-1.fc15.

As to why I pushed this update, there are a few reasons:

* The existing ntfsprogs hadn't really had any love for quite some time,
the 2.0.0 release was held together with a lot of spit and chewing gum.
The ntfs-3g upstream (which is very active/responsive) took over the
ntfsprogs code, cleaned it up, applied all the distro patches they could
find (including all of Fedora's) and hooked it into libntfs-3g. In the
process, they fixed several bugs. Given that ntfsprogs is used during
anaconda for ntfs operations, I figured it was worthwhile to include in F15.

I've just filed https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=697008 and
proposed it as a F!5Blocker.

* As a general rule, I push ntfs-3g updates to all active targets,
because every bugfix release they do resolves issues that have the
potential to cause data corruption or loss. I definitely appreciate
testing of these updates, but the ntfs-3g track record is rather
impressive (they have a formal RC/final workflow which helps a lot), so
I have a high degree of confidence in the update quality.

Apologies for the confusion,

~tom

==
Fedora Project
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Tom Callaway
 
Default ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2011.4.12

On 04/15/2011 11:10 AM, Tom Callaway wrote:
> If you can't wait, you can request an buildroot override tag for
> ntfs-3g-2011.4.12-1.fc15.

... and it was just override tagged by rdieter.

~tom

==
Fedora Project
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-15-2011, 03:41 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"
 
Default ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2011.4.12

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 11:27:44AM -0400, Tom Callaway wrote:
> On 04/15/2011 11:10 AM, Tom Callaway wrote:
> > If you can't wait, you can request an buildroot override tag for
> > ntfs-3g-2011.4.12-1.fc15.
>
> ... and it was just override tagged by rdieter.

Thanks ... unfortunately I don't think I can fix this until Monday.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat http://people.redhat.com/~rjones
virt-df lists disk usage of guests without needing to install any
software inside the virtual machine. Supports Linux and Windows.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org