Old 04-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Jeff Garzik

Default A "whatuses" command for yum?

A humble, basic question for you experts...

Given a library, such as jansson (C JSON lib), how does one
automatically list all packages in the F14 repo which require jansson?

Must be able to find packages which are not installed on the current system.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 04-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Jon Ciesla

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> A humble, basic question for you experts...
>
> Given a library, such as jansson (C JSON lib), how does one
> automatically list all packages in the F14 repo which require jansson?
>
> Must be able to find packages which are not installed on the current system.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

repoquery --whatrequires <foo>, which could be a name of an RPM, or a
solib name, like libfoo.so.0.

repoquery is in yum-utils.

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie

Old 04-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Jon Ciesla

Old 04-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Mohamed El Morabity

Le lundi 11 avril 2011 à 14:55 -0400, Jeff Garzik a écrit :
> A humble, basic question for you experts...
>
> Given a library, such as jansson (C JSON lib), how does one
> automatically list all packages in the F14 repo which require jansson?
>
> Must be able to find packages which are not installed on the current system.

Hi,

through repoquery?

$ repoquery --whatrequires jansson

Old 04-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 13:59:11 -0500, Jon wrote:

> Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > A humble, basic question for you experts...
> >
> > Given a library, such as jansson (C JSON lib), how does one
> > automatically list all packages in the F14 repo which require jansson?
> >
> > Must be able to find packages which are not installed on the current system.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> repoquery --whatrequires <foo>, which could be a name of an RPM, or a
> solib name, like libfoo.so.0.
>
> repoquery is in yum-utils.

Note that --alldeps option is the default for some time, so if you
really want <foo> to be "a name of an RPM", you need to add --exactdeps

Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Ville Skyttä

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 13:59:11 -0500, Jon wrote:
>> repoquery --whatrequires <foo>, which could be a name of an RPM, or a
>> solib name, like libfoo.so.0.
>
> Note that --alldeps option is the default for some time, so if you
> really want <foo> to be "a name of an RPM", you need to add --exactdeps

I think that's somewhat misleadingly put, there's no need to use
--exactdeps if one wants to give "a name of an RPM" as an argument. For
the example above, --exactdeps is only needed if one wants to get the
list of things that depend on the exact string <foo> (so dependencies to
things <foo> might provide are not checked), but I believe those use
cases are not as usual as the default --alldeps ones.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:36:02 +0300, Ville wrote:

> On 04/11/2011 10:15 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 13:59:11 -0500, Jon wrote:
> >> repoquery --whatrequires <foo>, which could be a name of an RPM, or a
> >> solib name, like libfoo.so.0.
> >
> > Note that --alldeps option is the default for some time, so if you
> > really want <foo> to be "a name of an RPM", you need to add --exactdeps
>
> I think that's somewhat misleadingly put, there's no need to use
> --exactdeps if one wants to give "a name of an RPM" as an argument. For
> the example above, --exactdeps is only needed if one wants to get the
> list of things that depend on the exact string <foo> (so dependencies to
> things <foo> might provide are not checked), but I believe those use
> cases are not as usual as the default --alldeps ones.

Okay, that's a much longer explanation of what I've had in mind.
And I agree, the --alldeps query is needed more often and is appropriate
as a default.

In either case, the repoquery user ought to be aware of the two options
and what they do. Especially when trying to understand the difference
between automatic dependencies and explicit dependencies on package names.
Or when planning to rename a subpackage or to move a file from one
subpackage to another. Without understanding the default --whatrequires
query, there is the risk of misinterpreting its result. Example:

$ repoquery --whatrequires libmad|grep -v libmad|wc -l
33

Oh, so many packages depend on libmad. However, the packages
don't care about the "libmad" package name (but just the shared
library name in it):

$ repoquery --exactdeps --whatrequires libmad|grep -v libmad
$

Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 PM
"Chris Jones"

A humble, basic question for you experts...

Given a library, such as jansson (C JSON lib), how does one
automatically list all packages in the F14 repo which require jansson?

Must be able to find packages which are not installed on the current system.

Thanks,

Jeff

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't "yum info jansson" give you this?

Regards

Chris Jones