Old 04-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Michel Alexandre Salim

Default Vala 0.12 is out -- thoughts on updating the F-14 package?

Hello all,

Now that Vala 0.12 is out, Renich has inquired whether we can update the
F-14 package.

I wouldn't push an update unless all packages that require Valencia can
be built against 0.12 without a major update -- F-14, after all, is a
stable release -- so if possible, would the package maintainers let me
know if this is currently possible?

Affected packages are:

anjuta-1:2.32.1.1-1.fc14.src
awn-extras-applets-0:0.4.0-24.fc14.1.src
dconf-0:0.5.1-1.fc14.src
deja-dup-0:16.1.1-1.fc14.src
emerillon-0:0.1.2-7.fc14.src
ethos-0:0.2.2-7.fc14.src
folks-0:0.1.16-1.fc14.1.src
gedit-vala-0:0.10.2-1.fc14.1.src
gedit-valencia-0:0.3.0-4.fc14.src
gpx-viewer-0:0.2.0-3.fc14.src
gstreamer-rtsp-0:0.10.5-2.fc14.src
gupnp-vala-0:0.6.12-1.fc14.src
latexila-0:2.0.5-1.fc14.src
rygel-0:0.8.3-1.fc14.src
shotwell-0:0.8.1-2.fc14.src
telepathy-glib-0:0.11.16-1.fc14.src
tracker-0:0.8.17-1.fc14.src
valide-0:0.7.0-7.20100923bzr557.fc14.src
xnoise-0:0.1.12-3.fc14.src

Thanks,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim
µblog: http://identi.ca/hircus

Old 04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/11/2011 04:02 PM, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Now that Vala 0.12 is out, Renich has inquired whether we can update the
> F-14 package.
>
> I wouldn't push an update unless all packages that require Valencia can
> be built against 0.12 without a major update -- F-14, after all, is a
> stable release -- so if possible, would the package maintainers let me
> know if this is currently possible?

Why is this update a benefit for Fedora 14? Does it break any
compatibility? Have you done any testing with the affected packages?

Rahul

Old 04-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Peter Robinson

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/11/2011 04:02 PM, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Now that Vala 0.12 is out, Renich has inquired whether we can update the
>> F-14 package.
>>
>> I wouldn't push an update unless all packages that require Valencia can
>> be built against 0.12 without a major update -- F-14, after all, is a
>> stable release -- so if possible, would the package maintainers let me
>> know if this is currently possible?
>
> Why is this update a benefit for Fedora 14? *Does it break any
> compatibility? *Have you done any testing with the affected packages?

With the question of "would the package maintainers let me know if
this is currently possible?" my guess would be no, but then it was a
question.

I think the shipping version of shotwell will have issues if it needs
to be recompiled but its worth noting that as vala only generates C
code which is then run native that apps shouldn't be affected. That
said I don't have the time to go through and test my list of vala
packages at the moment.

Peter

Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Michel Alexandre Salim

Old 04-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Brian Pepple

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 5:54 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Why is this update a benefit for Fedora 14? *Does it break any
>> compatibility? *Have you done any testing with the affected packages?
>
> With the question of "would the package maintainers let me know if
> this is currently possible?" my guess would be no, but then it was a
> question.
>
> I think the shipping version of shotwell will have issues if it needs
> to be recompiled but its worth noting that as vala only generates C
> code which is then run native that apps shouldn't be affected. That
> said I don't have the time to go through and test my list of vala
> packages at the moment.

I'm out of town right now, and won't get a chance to do any testing
before tomorrow night, but based on my past experiences with folks +
vala, I would lean against updating vala in our stable releases.

Later,
/B

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bpepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B *CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E