Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Alex Hudson

Default Status of pino in F15

Hi all,

I apologise if this sounds like a bit of an extended whinge; it's not
meant to but I'm not sure how better to raise these issues.

I've spent a half-hour this morning going through various bits of pino
and raising appropriate bugs, as I'm now using F15 as my full-time
system (and I'm a heavy user of pino from F14).

Now, pino in F14 wasn't great particularly with the issues around
twitter support. I don't know what has happened since then, though, but
it's basically unusable now. Feel free to go through my bugs, but as
highlights:

* it doesn't minimise anywhere on the gnome3 desktop
* it doesn't automatically refresh
* clicking on friend's names gets a / filesystem listing

In addition, [re] tweeting/denting fails randomly in a pattern I've not
yet been able to nail down for a bug report, there are large chunks of
unfinished UI and stuff which plain doesn't work. I bz'd the missing
menu items; there are also icons and right-click menu items which do
nothing.

Now, pino is currently a default package in the "Graphical Internet". I
would argue that right now, unless there is some super-ninja plan, it
should be demoted to optional at best. It should not be on the live CD
in this state.

I apologise for bringing this up so late in the beta cycle - I'm sure
the beta is spinning as I type - but I honestly don't think it can ship
in this state.

Cheers

Alex.

--
This message was scanned by Better Hosted and is believed to be clean.
http://www.betterhosted.com

Old 04-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Adam Williamson

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 08:58 +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:

> I apologise for bringing this up so late in the beta cycle - I'm sure
> the beta is spinning as I type - but I honestly don't think it can ship
> in this state.

As far as that goes - the functionality of non-vital apps within the
image is not an issue for the Beta criteria. Unless it's on the panel by
default and crashes (which it isn't), nothing to do with pino can block
the Beta.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Alex Hudson

Adam,

> On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 08:58 +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:
> > I apologise for bringing this up so late in the beta cycle - I'm sure
> > the beta is spinning as I type - but I honestly don't think it can ship
> > in this state.
>
> As far as that goes - the functionality of non-vital apps within the
> image is not an issue for the Beta criteria. Unless it's on the panel by
> default and crashes (which it isn't), nothing to do with pino can block
> the Beta.

Sorry, I think you're misunderstanding what I'm asking, so let me
clarify: I'm not asking that this block the beta, I'm asking whether or
not this should be shipped by default.

I mentioned the beta because ideally stuff like this would be sorted out
by now. I should have just said "so late in the release cycle".

I think shipping F15 with Pino included on the Live CD by default, in
the condition it is currently in, would be a huge error.

Cheers,

Alex.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Dmitri Bachtin

Is the pino upstream active right now? Pino's default branch is broken.

I took FC15's SRPM as base and started patching it to bring pino into proper shape. It builds with current FC15's builddeps already (patches in Fedora's bug tracker) and maximizes properly. I want to build autorefreshing into it and fill menus this or next week.

Does it make sense to provide the patches to Fedora and propose them to upstream later or should I develop against the upstream's default branch and ask upstream to reintegrate them in hope that the changes will flow into Fedora later?

Cheers,
*-- Dmitri Bachtin

Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 05/12/2011 01:10 PM, Dmitri Bachtin wrote:
> Is the pino upstream active right now? Pino's default branch is broken.
>
> I took FC15's SRPM as base and started patching it to bring pino into
> proper shape. It builds with current FC15's builddeps already (patches
> in Fedora's bug tracker) and maximizes properly. I want to build
> autorefreshing into it and fill menus this or next week.
>
> Does it make sense to provide the patches to Fedora and propose them
> to upstream later or should I develop against the upstream's default
> branch and ask upstream to reintegrate them in hope that the changes
> will flow into Fedora later?

File them upstream first. We will pick it up. Notify us if you it is
anything important. Thanks for the patches. If you want to be a
co-maintainer of Pino in Fedora, drop me a mail offlist and I can help
you with that.

Rahul

Old 05-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Dmitri Bachtin

Thank you for information, I will follow your advice.

Cheers
*-- Dmitri Bachtin

Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Adam Williamson

> On 05/12/2011 01:10 PM, Dmitri Bachtin wrote:
> > Is the pino upstream active right now? Pino's default branch is broken.
> >
> > I took FC15's SRPM as base and started patching it to bring pino into
> > proper shape. It builds with current FC15's builddeps already (patches
> > in Fedora's bug tracker) and maximizes properly. I want to build
> > autorefreshing into it and fill menus this or next week.
> >
> > Does it make sense to provide the patches to Fedora and propose them
> > to upstream later or should I develop against the upstream's default
> > branch and ask upstream to reintegrate them in hope that the changes
> > will flow into Fedora later?
>
> File them upstream first. We will pick it up. Notify us if you it is
> anything important. Thanks for the patches. If you want to be a
> co-maintainer of Pino in Fedora, drop me a mail offlist and I can help
> you with that.

If you want to make sure the fixes get into Fedora fast you can add them
to the Fedora package as patches, but always make sure they're submitted
upstream first, and comment the patch with the URL to the upstream
submission. Fedora has a principle/policy of working upstream, we always
consider it 'wrong' to patch something only in the Fedora package and
hope upstream will pull it on their own initiative, always send it
upstream yourself.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey