Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/)
-   -   Fedora 15 Beta RC1 Available Now! (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/511500-fedora-15-beta-rc1-available-now.html)

Andre Robatino 04-08-2011 03:38 AM

Fedora 15 Beta RC1 Available Now!
 
As per the Fedora 15 schedule [1], Fedora 15 Beta RC1 is now available
for testing. Please see the following pages for download links and
testing instructions.

Installation:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Current_Installation_Test

Desktop:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Current_Desktop_Test

Ideally, all Alpha and Beta priority test cases for installation [2] and
desktop [3] should pass in order to meet the Beta Release Criteria [4].
Help is available on #fedora-qa on irc.freenode.net [5], or on the test
list [6].

F15 Beta Blocker tracker bug:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=657618

F15 Beta Nice-To-Have tracker bug:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=657619

[1] http://rbergero.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-15/f-15-quality-tasks.html
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Installation_validation_testing
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Desktop_validation_testing
[4] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_15_Beta_Release_Criteria
[5] irc://irc.freenode.net/fedora-qa
[6] https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/test

_______________________________________________
test-announce mailing list
test-announce@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/test-announce--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Christopher Aillon 04-08-2011 05:37 PM

Fedora 15 Beta RC1 Available Now!
 
On 04/07/2011 08:38 PM, Andre Robatino wrote:
> Fedora 15 Beta RC1

Please don't mix "beta" and "RC" together. "Beta" and "RC" are two
distinct parts of the release cycle, so it's confusing to see them
together, just like it would be confusing to see an announcement about
"alpha beta".
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Dennis Gilmore 04-08-2011 05:55 PM

Fedora 15 Beta RC1 Available Now!
 
On Friday, April 08, 2011 12:37:17 PM Christopher Aillon wrote:
> On 04/07/2011 08:38 PM, Andre Robatino wrote:
> > Fedora 15 Beta RC1
>
> Please don't mix "beta" and "RC" together. "Beta" and "RC" are two
> distinct parts of the release cycle, so it's confusing to see them
> together, just like it would be confusing to see an announcement about
> "alpha beta".

Chris its the teminology we have always used.
each phase has a series of release candidates.

for alpha we do a series of RC composes until we get one that meets the
release criteria, it then becomes the alpha release.

for beta we do a series of RC composes until we get one that meets the release
criteria, it then becomes the beta release.

for GA we do a series of RC composes until we get one that meets the release
criteria, it then becomes the GA release.


Its the way we do it.

Dennis
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Chris Adams 04-08-2011 06:11 PM

Fedora 15 Beta RC1 Available Now!
 
Once upon a time, Dennis Gilmore <dennis@ausil.us> said:
> Chris its the teminology we have always used.
> each phase has a series of release candidates.

I thought they were called "test composes" or TC, not RC.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>
Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" 04-08-2011 06:13 PM

Fedora 15 Beta RC1 Available Now!
 
On 04/08/2011 06:11 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Dennis Gilmore<dennis@ausil.us> said:
>> Chris its the teminology we have always used.
>> each phase has a series of release candidates.
> I thought they were called "test composes" or TC, not RC.

I dont see any reason why we cant use TC if RC is causing confusion.

JBG
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Dennis Gilmore 04-08-2011 06:26 PM

Fedora 15 Beta RC1 Available Now!
 
On Friday, April 08, 2011 01:11:18 PM Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Dennis Gilmore <dennis@ausil.us> said:
> > Chris its the teminology we have always used.
> > each phase has a series of release candidates.
>
> I thought they were called "test composes" or TC, not RC.
the test compose is a compose we do before starting the RC composes to see
what state we are in.

Its a preperation thing we do. its never intended to be released as the alpha,
beta, GA release, where RC composes are intended to be a Alpha, beta or GA
release.

Dennis
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Christopher Aillon 04-08-2011 07:14 PM

Fedora 15 Beta RC1 Available Now!
 
On 04/08/2011 10:55 AM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Friday, April 08, 2011 12:37:17 PM Christopher Aillon wrote:
>> On 04/07/2011 08:38 PM, Andre Robatino wrote:
>>> Fedora 15 Beta RC1
>>
>> Please don't mix "beta" and "RC" together. "Beta" and "RC" are two
>> distinct parts of the release cycle, so it's confusing to see them
>> together, just like it would be confusing to see an announcement about
>> "alpha beta".
>
> Chris its the teminology we have always used.
> each phase has a series of release candidates.
>
...
> Its the way we do it.

F13 is the earliest mention I can find mention of "Beta RC" on
devel-list. But that doesn't really change the validity of my
statement. It's confusing, and we should change it.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Jesse Keating 04-08-2011 08:19 PM

Fedora 15 Beta RC1 Available Now!
 
On 4/8/11 12:14 PM, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>> Its the way we do it.
> F13 is the earliest mention I can find mention of "Beta RC" on
> devel-list. But that doesn't really change the validity of my
> statement. It's confusing, and we should change it.

This is fair criticism. I believe I'm the one that started referring to
these composes as "release candidates" more vocally. We needed a way to
reference the succession of attempted composes for a release point, be
it Alpha, Beta, or GA. Calling them release candidates made sense to
me, however I can see how they could be confusing.

Would it make more sense to refer to these as "Alpha Candidate", "Beta
Candidate" and "Release Candidate" ? ac{1,2,3}, bc{1,2}, rc1 ?

It does mean the name will change at each stage, but it should be more
descriptive as to what stage we're in.

Thoughts?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom▓ is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

mike cloaked 04-08-2011 08:25 PM

Fedora 15 Beta RC1 Available Now!
 
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 4/8/11 12:14 PM, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>>> Its the way we do it.
>> F13 is the earliest mention I can find mention of "Beta RC" on
>> devel-list. *But that doesn't really change the validity of my
>> statement. *It's confusing, and we should change it.
>
> This is fair criticism. *I believe I'm the one that started referring to
> these composes as "release candidates" more vocally. *We needed a way to
> reference the succession of attempted composes for a release point, be
> it Alpha, Beta, or GA. *Calling them release candidates made sense to
> me, however I can see how they could be confusing.
>
> Would it make more sense to refer to these as "Alpha Candidate", "Beta
> Candidate" and "Release Candidate" ? *ac{1,2,3}, bc{1,2}, rc1 *?
>
> It does mean the name will change at each stage, but it should be more
> descriptive as to what stage we're in.

How about the sequence:
Fn-Alpha-Pre.1 Fn-Alpha-Pre.2 ..... Fn-Alpha
Fn-Beta-Pre.1 Fn-Beta-Pre.2 Fn-Beta-Pre.3 .... Fn-Beta
Fn-RC1 Fn-RC2 Fn-RC3... Fn (=release)

?
--
mike c
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Casey Dahlin 04-08-2011 08:28 PM

Fedora 15 Beta RC1 Available Now!
 
On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 09:25:31PM +0100, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On 4/8/11 12:14 PM, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> >>> Its the way we do it.
> >> F13 is the earliest mention I can find mention of "Beta RC" on
> >> devel-list. *But that doesn't really change the validity of my
> >> statement. *It's confusing, and we should change it.
> >
> > This is fair criticism. *I believe I'm the one that started referring to
> > these composes as "release candidates" more vocally. *We needed a way to
> > reference the succession of attempted composes for a release point, be
> > it Alpha, Beta, or GA. *Calling them release candidates made sense to
> > me, however I can see how they could be confusing.
> >
> > Would it make more sense to refer to these as "Alpha Candidate", "Beta
> > Candidate" and "Release Candidate" ? *ac{1,2,3}, bc{1,2}, rc1 *?
> >
> > It does mean the name will change at each stage, but it should be more
> > descriptive as to what stage we're in.
>
> How about the sequence:
> Fn-Alpha-Pre.1 Fn-Alpha-Pre.2 ..... Fn-Alpha
> Fn-Beta-Pre.1 Fn-Beta-Pre.2 Fn-Beta-Pre.3 .... Fn-Beta
> Fn-RC1 Fn-RC2 Fn-RC3... Fn (=release)
>

That is certainly a different color bikeshed from the one Jesse
suggested :)

Its probably best that it be decided for certain /if/ we want to change
before we decide what the new naming convention be. Then we get the
inevitable bikeshedding argument out from under the actual issue that's
been raised here.

--CJD
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:24 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.