Old 04-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Jim Meyering

Default heads up: new rawhide kernel doesn't boot for me

I updated my rawhide VM today (on F15 host), but it failed to reboot
using the new kernel, vmlinuz-2.6.39-0.rc1.git5.0.fc16.x86_64
I got a failure (VFS diagnostic complaining that the UUID-specified
root partition was not available), then panic.

Two subsequent attempts to reboot failed because even though I got
to the grub kernel-selection menu, I was unable to get a response
out of the interface, so couldn't select any other kernel or even
edit a grub stanza. Luckily for me, on the third attempt, grub's
UI did respond to down-arrow and "ENTER", so I could select
the preceding kernel, and that one did manage to boot.

If necessary (i.e., if it's not already fixed), I'll file a BZ.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Daniel J Walsh

Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Jim Meyering

Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> On 04/07/2011 07:46 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> I updated my rawhide VM today (on F15 host), but it failed to reboot
>> using the new kernel, vmlinuz-2.6.39-0.rc1.git5.0.fc16.x86_64
>> I got a failure (VFS diagnostic complaining that the UUID-specified
>> root partition was not available), then panic.
>>
>> Two subsequent attempts to reboot failed because even though I got
>> to the grub kernel-selection menu, I was unable to get a response
>> out of the interface, so couldn't select any other kernel or even
>> edit a grub stanza. Luckily for me, on the third attempt, grub's
>> UI did respond to down-arrow and "ENTER", so I could select
>> the preceding kernel, and that one did manage to boot.
>>
>> If necessary (i.e., if it's not already fixed), I'll file a BZ.
>
> kernel-2.6.39-0.rc2.git0.0.fc16 Works for me.

Good to know. Thanks, Dan.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Jim Meyering

Old 04-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Ben Boeckel

Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> wrote:
> Two subsequent attempts to reboot failed because even though I got
> to the grub kernel-selection menu, I was unable to get a response
> out of the interface, so couldn't select any other kernel or even
> edit a grub stanza. Luckily for me, on the third attempt, grub's
> UI did respond to down-arrow and "ENTER", so I could select
> the preceding kernel, and that one did manage to boot.

I've seen this as well. I think it may be linked with the BIOS getting
confused about mashing the modifier keys to get GRUB to show up in the
first place and then being "stuck" akin to Caps Lock.

--Ben