-   -   heads up: new rawhide kernel doesn't boot for me (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/511160-heads-up-new-rawhide-kernel-doesnt-boot-me.html)

Jim Meyering 04-07-2011 11:46 AM

heads up: new rawhide kernel doesn't boot for me

I updated my rawhide VM today (on F15 host), but it failed to reboot
using the new kernel, vmlinuz-2.6.39-0.rc1.git5.0.fc16.x86_64
I got a failure (VFS diagnostic complaining that the UUID-specified
root partition was not available), then panic.

Two subsequent attempts to reboot failed because even though I got
to the grub kernel-selection menu, I was unable to get a response
out of the interface, so couldn't select any other kernel or even
edit a grub stanza. Luckily for me, on the third attempt, grub's
UI did respond to down-arrow and "ENTER", so I could select
the preceding kernel, and that one did manage to boot.

If necessary (i.e., if it's not already fixed), I'll file a BZ.

Daniel J Walsh 04-07-2011 01:14 PM

heads up: new rawhide kernel doesn't boot for me

Jim Meyering 04-07-2011 01:16 PM

Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> On 04/07/2011 07:46 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> I updated my rawhide VM today (on F15 host), but it failed to reboot
>> using the new kernel, vmlinuz-2.6.39-0.rc1.git5.0.fc16.x86_64
>> I got a failure (VFS diagnostic complaining that the UUID-specified
>> root partition was not available), then panic.
>>
>> Two subsequent attempts to reboot failed because even though I got
>> to the grub kernel-selection menu, I was unable to get a response
>> out of the interface, so couldn't select any other kernel or even
>> edit a grub stanza. Luckily for me, on the third attempt, grub's
>> UI did respond to down-arrow and "ENTER", so I could select
>> the preceding kernel, and that one did manage to boot.
>>
>> If necessary (i.e., if it's not already fixed), I'll file a BZ.
>
> kernel-2.6.39-0.rc2.git0.0.fc16 Works for me.

Good to know. Thanks, Dan.

Jim Meyering 04-07-2011 01:16 PM

Ben Boeckel 04-07-2011 01:55 PM

Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> wrote:
> Two subsequent attempts to reboot failed because even though I got
> to the grub kernel-selection menu, I was unable to get a response
> out of the interface, so couldn't select any other kernel or even
> edit a grub stanza. Luckily for me, on the third attempt, grub's
> UI did respond to down-arrow and "ENTER", so I could select
> the preceding kernel, and that one did manage to boot.

I've seen this as well. I think it may be linked with the BIOS getting
confused about mashing the modifier keys to get GRUB to show up in the
first place and then being "stuck" akin to Caps Lock.

--Ben