Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 AM
drago01

Default Gnome-Shell and F14

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Chris Jones <chrisjones@comcen.com.au> wrote:

Is the final Gnome-Shell going to be made available for
Fedora 14 or solely for Fedora 15?

*
The later.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:52 AM
"Chris Jones"

the final Gnome-Shell going to be made available for Fedora 14 or solely for
Fedora 15?

*

The later.

*

*

******************************

*

So I’m currently running Gnome-Shell on F14 at version 2.31.5. Will
there be any more updates at all or will that be it?

*

*

Regards

*

Chris Jones

Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 AM
drago01

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Chris Jones <chrisjones@comcen.com.au> wrote:

> [...]

No because it would require updates to many core parts of the system.
And it wouldn't give you the full gnome3 experience anyway.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 AM
"Chris Jones"

> Is the final Gnome-Shell going to be made available for Fedora 14 or
solely
> for Fedora 15?
>

> The later.
>

> ******************************
>

> So I'm currently running Gnome-Shell on F14 at version 2.31.5. Will there
be
> any more updates at all or will that be it?

No because it would require updates to many core parts of the system.
And it wouldn't give you the full gnome3 experience anyway.

*************************

Well when I installed Gnome-Shell just the other day it was only a ~10MB
download and the installation was simple and didn't seem to alter anything.

Am I getting confused or something between Gnome 3 and Gnome-Shell. Are they
two different packages or the same thing?

Regards

Chris Jones

Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 04/07/2011 03:46 PM, Chris Jones wrote
> Well when I installed Gnome-Shell just the other day it was only a ~10MB
> download and the installation was simple and didn't seem to alter anything.
>
> Am I getting confused or something between Gnome 3 and Gnome-Shell. Are they
> two different packages or the same thing?

GNOME Shell is a major part of GNOME 3. It replaces the panel and
window manager. GNOME 3 requires a number of changes in the core
compoents and hence it won't available as an update for Fedora 14.

Rahul

Old 04-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Michael Wiktowy

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Chris Jones <chrisjones@comcen.com.au> wrote:
> Well when I installed Gnome-Shell just the other day it was only a ~10MB
> download and the installation was simple and didn't seem to alter anything.
>
> Am I getting confused or something between Gnome 3 and Gnome-Shell. Are they
> two different packages or the same thing?

I believe the gnome-shell included in F13 and earlier was an early
prototype that used toolkits and libraries that were available in
Gnome 2. The latest gnome-shell uses updated resourses available only
in Gnome 3 so there is no clear update path from one to the other
without including the entire Gnome 3 infrastructure and I think that
would be considered too big of a change to make within a Fedora
version.

/Mike

Old 04-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Kevin Kofler

drago01 wrote:
> No because it would require updates to many core parts of the system.

It requires at the very least updates to:
* gobject-introspection (to a version not binary-compatible with the one in
F14, so ALL packages with introspection info would have to be rebuilt, too)
* glib2 (which is used by a lot of stuff including gtk2, and even qt to some
extent (event loop integration))
* gtk3
* probably some other GNOME-related libraries

To support some other features, even more system components need to be
upgraded, e.g. the network management applet needs NetworkManager 0.9 (which
is not backwards-compatible with 0.8, so pushing it to F14 doesn't look
practical to me).

> And it wouldn't give you the full gnome3 experience anyway.

Indeed, for a full GNOME 3 experience, you'd also have to upgrade other apps
to GTK+ 3 / GNOME 3 versions, at the very least. And see also the above note
about NetworkManager.

That said, if somebody wants to provide this in a third-party repository,
they can try, it'd just be painful to support, and if done completely, you'd
end up with something that's largely equivalent to Fedora 15. Building an
updated gnome-shell in SOME way (even where it means ripping off pieces)
might be more supportable, but would still need several packages updated.

I built GTK+ 3.0.0 (along with an updated GLib2 it needed) in a repository,
but those builds have gobject-introspection disabled (due to the
incompatibility issues), so they will not be suitable for gnome-shell. I
also didn't update it to GTK+ 3.0.x bugfix releases because I didn't get a
single request for an updated version. (Looks like everyone doing GTK+ 3
development or porting on Fedora is using F15 or even Rawhide.)

Kevin Kofler

Old 04-08-2011, 12:43 AM
"Chris Jones"

So I think I'll stick with the current development build that is in F14
until F15 is finalized and released. Then I'll just upgrade I think.
It's seriously not worth the mucking around trying to get it running in a
F14 environment. It's just not worth my time and effort when F15 is really
not that far off.

Thanks to all for the information. ;-)

Regards

Chris Jones