Old 04-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Steve Clark

Default preupgrade f13 to f14 hangs on reboot

I am trying to use preupgrade a fedora 13
system to fedora 14. When I reboot the system just

hangs.

The hardware is a Jetway MB with an intel D510 cpu and 2 GB of
memory sata drive.

All I see on reboot is a blinking cursor in the upper left corner
of the screen.

I have to ctl-alt-del to get out of the hang.

Any suggestions?

--

Stephen*Clark

NetWolves

Sr.*Software*Engineer*III

Phone:*813-579-3200

Fax:*813-882-0209

Email:*steve.clark@netwolves.com

http://www.netwolves.com

Old 04-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Przemek Klosowski

On 04/03/2011 06:04 PM, Steve Clark wrote:
> I am trying to use preupgrade a fedora 13 system to fedora 14. When I
> reboot the system just
> hangs.
>
> The hardware is a Jetway MB with an intel D510 cpu and 2 GB of memory
> sata drive.
>
> All I see on reboot is a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the
> screen.
> I have to ctl-alt-del to get out of the hang.

It looks like it stopped booting, so either your boot environment got
damaged or the F14 kernel fails on your machine. Does the Fedora 14
Live CD boot successfully for you? Do you have enough space in the /boot
partition? Can you boot the Live CD, spacebar into the grub menu and try
booting off the local hard disk?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Steve Clark

I am trying to use preupgrade a fedora 13 system to fedora 14. When I
reboot the system just
hangs.

The hardware is a Jetway MB with an intel D510 cpu and 2 GB of memory
sata drive.

All I see on reboot is a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the
screen.
I have to ctl-alt-del to get out of the hang.

It looks like it stopped booting, so either your boot environment got
damaged or the F14 kernel fails on your machine. Does the Fedora 14
Live CD boot successfully for you? Do you have enough space in the /boot
partition? Can you boot the Live CD, spacebar into the grub menu and try
booting off the local hard disk?

Haven't tried live cd - don't have a dvd/cd
drive on the box. Plenty of room in the /boot

partition.

/dev/sda1************ 485M* 246M* 214M* 54% /boot

Grub comes up of the hard disk just fine. If I select thetitle
Upgrade to Fedora 14 (Laughlin)

******* kernel /boot/upgrade/vmlinuz preupgrade
repo=hd::/var/cache/yum/preupgrade ks=hd:/dev/sda1/upgrade/ks.cfg
stage2=hd:/dev/sda1/upgrade/install.img

******* initrd /boot/upgrade/initrd.img

I just get a flashing cursor in the top left corner of the screen.
I can then ctl-alt-del and select the f13 kernel from grub and the

system will boot back into f13.

lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation N10 Family DMI Bridge (rev
02)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express
Port 1 (rev 02)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express
Port 2 (rev 02)

00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express
Port 3 (rev 02)

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI
Controller #1 (rev 02)

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB
UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB
UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)

00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB
UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2
EHCI Controller (rev 02)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev
e2)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation NM10 Family LPC Controller
(rev 02)

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA
AHCI Controller (rev 02)

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller
(rev 02)

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)

02:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362/JMB363
Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

02:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362/JMB363
Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285
Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

I was hoping maybe there were some options I could add to the
kernel line to make it boot.