Old 04-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Sergio Belkin

Default Different spec for el5

Hi fedora community,

I maintain ftop package. I've made fedora and el6 packages. Taking
account different requirements for epel5 packages, now I'd want to
make an el el5 package. It's not clear what i should do.

1. If I create an new spec with conditionals touch fedora packages and
el6 but does make sense increase EVR only for it?
2. If I create a modified spec for el5, should I increase the EVR? Can
a package have a different EVR of el6 and fedora ones? Or can an el5
package has the same EVR that el6 and fedora ones but different
content?

Thanks in advance!
Sergio Belkin *http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org

Old 04-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Ville Skyttä

On 04/02/2011 05:02 PM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> Hi fedora community,
>
> I maintain ftop package. I've made fedora and el6 packages. Taking
> account different requirements for epel5 packages, now I'd want to
> make an el el5 package. It's not clear what i should do.
>
> 1. If I create an new spec with conditionals touch fedora packages and
> el6 but does make sense increase EVR only for it?

Nope (in case you mean bumping the EVR for EL6 and Fedora packages).

> 2. If I create a modified spec for el5, should I increase the EVR? Can
> a package have a different EVR of el6 and fedora ones? Or can an el5
> package has the same EVR that el6 and fedora ones but different
> content?

Take the EL6 spec, make necessary changes to it for EL5, and bump EVR of
the EL5 package by adding a digit *after* the disttag, that way it won't
cause problems when upgrading from EL5 to EL6. Then at the next EL6
package release, fold in the changes made to the EL5 specfile if you
like and from there on you can use the same specfile for EL5 and EL6.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#Minor_release_bumps_for_old_branc hes

Old 04-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Sergio Belkin

2011/4/2 Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>:
> On 04/02/2011 05:02 PM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
>> Hi fedora community,
>>
>> I maintain ftop package. I've made fedora and el6 packages. Taking
>> account different requirements for epel5 packages, now I'd want to
>> make an el el5 package. It's not clear what i should do.
>>
>> 1. If I create an new spec with conditionals touch fedora packages and
>> el6 but does make sense increase EVR only for it?
>
> Nope (in case you mean bumping the EVR for EL6 and Fedora packages).
>
>> 2. If I create a modified spec for el5, should I increase the EVR? Can
>> a package have a different EVR of el6 and fedora ones? Or can an el5
>> package has the same EVR that el6 and fedora ones but different
>> content?
>
> Take the EL6 spec, make necessary changes to it for EL5, and bump EVR of
> the EL5 package by adding a digit *after* the disttag, that way it won't
> cause problems when upgrading from EL5 to EL6. *Then at the next EL6
> package release, fold in the changes made to the EL5 specfile if you
> like and from there on you can use the same specfile for EL5 and EL6.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#Minor_release_bumps_for_old_branc hes

Thanks Ville is just what I'm looking for!