Old 03-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Adam Williamson

Default libedit update needs karma

On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 10:34 -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The latest libedit update is CRITPATH, so it needs some karma. The
> direct consumers of libedit, if my repoquery-fu is up to the task, are
> the following, with their maintainers listed first, followed by
> comaintainers:
>
> Io-language: limb
> asterisk: jcollie, fabbione, itamarjp
> ceph: josef, boodle, jdieter, steve, stingray, tremble, zaniyah
> chrony: mlichvar
> firebird (-class-common, -superserver): makowski
> ghc-editline: s4504kr
> kaya: s4504kr
> libedit: kdudka, jcollie, jjames
> libreadline-java: akurtakov
> link-grammar: uwog
> ntp: mlichvar, pertusus
> openssh: jfch2222, dwalsh, ellert, lkundrak, mgrepl, mitr, sgrubb, tmraz
> php (-cli): jorton, rdieter, remi, timj
> php-pecl-xdebug: remi, cdamian, hubbitus
> pure: salimma
> uim: tagoh, i18n-team
>
> I'm jjames, and kdudka has already provided karma. Will some of the
> rest of you please test the update and leave your feedback on the
> update page?
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libedit-3.0-3.20110227cvs.fc15
>
> Thank you very much,

Yeah, handling cases like this where a somewhat 'obscure' library hits
critpath through deps is something I've been thinking about.
package-specific test cases would help, if someone would write them.
I think this gets to be critpath via the openssh and possibly ntp
requirements; it may help to know exactly what those apps _do_ with
libedit. But from a critpath perspective, this update is okay as long as
dependent critpath apps still work.

It would be nice if Bodhi could say 'this update is critical path
because of the following dependency chain:', but I don't know how
practical that is...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Jerry James

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 10:34 -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The latest libedit update is CRITPATH, so it needs some karma. *The
> > direct consumers of libedit, if my repoquery-fu is up to the task, are
> > the following, with their maintainers listed first, followed by
> > comaintainers:
> >
> > Io-language: limb
> > asterisk: jcollie, fabbione, itamarjp
> > ceph: josef, boodle, jdieter, steve, stingray, tremble, zaniyah
> > chrony: mlichvar
> > firebird (-class-common, -superserver): makowski
> > ghc-editline: s4504kr
> > kaya: s4504kr
> > libedit: kdudka, jcollie, jjames
> > libreadline-java: akurtakov
> > link-grammar: uwog
> > ntp: mlichvar, pertusus
> > openssh: jfch2222, dwalsh, ellert, lkundrak, mgrepl, mitr, sgrubb, tmraz
> > php (-cli): jorton, rdieter, remi, timj
> > php-pecl-xdebug: remi, cdamian, hubbitus
> > pure: salimma
> > uim: tagoh, i18n-team
> >
> > I'm jjames, and kdudka has already provided karma. *Will some of the
> > rest of you please test the update and leave your feedback on the
> > update page?
> >
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libedit-3.0-3.20110227cvs.fc15
> >
> > Thank you very much,
>
> Yeah, handling cases like this where a somewhat 'obscure' library hits
> critpath through deps is something I've been thinking about.
> package-specific test cases would help, if someone would write them.
> I think this gets to be critpath via the openssh and possibly ntp
> requirements; it may help to know exactly what those apps _do_ with
> libedit. But from a critpath perspective, this update is okay as long as
> dependent critpath apps still work.
>
> It would be nice if Bodhi could say 'this update is critical path
> because of the following dependency chain:', but I don't know how
> practical that is...

And, as an aside, that update still only has karma of 2. How do I
tell if either of the respondents is a proventester? Is that
indicated in the feedback somehow? This is my first experience with a
critpath update, so I'm feeling pretty ignorant of how it's supposed
to work. If I still need a proventester, what kind of bribe do I need
to offer?

Jerry "And a gummy worm in every pot" James
http://www.jamezone.org/

Old 04-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Christopher Aillon

On 04/01/2011 08:13 AM, Jerry James wrote:
> And, as an aside, that update still only has karma of 2. How do I
> tell if either of the respondents is a proventester? Is that
> indicated in the feedback somehow?

Their nick would show up as "username (proventester)" instead of just
"username". A proventester gave karma earlier so you can see it in the
update now.

> This is my first experience with a
> critpath update, so I'm feeling pretty ignorant of how it's supposed
> to work. If I still need a proventester, what kind of bribe do I need
> to offer?

Really, just offer some instructions on how to test it in your plea. I
saw this update several times and skipped over it since I didn't really
know how to properly test it and didn't bother taking the time to figure
it out.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:21 AM
Adam Williamson

On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 09:13 -0600, Jerry James wrote:

> > Yeah, handling cases like this where a somewhat 'obscure' library hits
> > critpath through deps is something I've been thinking about.
> > package-specific test cases would help, if someone would write them.
> > I think this gets to be critpath via the openssh and possibly ntp
> > requirements; it may help to know exactly what those apps _do_ with
> > libedit. But from a critpath perspective, this update is okay as long as
> > dependent critpath apps still work.
> >
> > It would be nice if Bodhi could say 'this update is critical path
> > because of the following dependency chain:', but I don't know how
> > practical that is...
>
> And, as an aside, that update still only has karma of 2. How do I
> tell if either of the respondents is a proventester? Is that
> indicated in the feedback somehow?

You probably know this now, but proven testers get a (proventester) next
to their FAS name in their feedback.

> This is my first experience with a
> critpath update, so I'm feeling pretty ignorant of how it's supposed
> to work. If I still need a proventester, what kind of bribe do I need
> to offer?

Beer's the good old traditional standby. Or possibly a hot dog?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-05-2011, 05:24 AM
Adam Williamson

On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 12:05 -0700, Christopher Aillon wrote:

> Really, just offer some instructions on how to test it in your plea. I
> saw this update several times and skipped over it since I didn't really
> know how to properly test it and didn't bother taking the time to figure
> it out.

Good advice, but the best way to do this is to write a couple of test
cases, because that way you only have to do it once!

See:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:SOP_test_case_creation
and the categorization info at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:SOP_package_test_plan_creation to
'associate' the test cases with the package, so bodhi will show them in
whenever the package has an update.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Michel Alexandre Salim

On 04/05/2011 07:21 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 09:13 -0600, Jerry James wrote:
>> This is my first experience with a
>> critpath update, so I'm feeling pretty ignorant of how it's supposed
>> to work. If I still need a proventester, what kind of bribe do I need
>> to offer?
>
> Beer's the good old traditional standby. Or possibly a hot dog?

Only if it's a beefy miracle!

--
Michel Alexandre Salim

Old 04-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Adam Williamson

On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 14:10 +0200, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
> On 04/05/2011 07:21 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 09:13 -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> >> This is my first experience with a
> >> critpath update, so I'm feeling pretty ignorant of how it's supposed
> >> to work. If I still need a proventester, what kind of bribe do I need
> >> to offer?
> >
> > Beer's the good old traditional standby. Or possibly a hot dog?
>
> Only if it's a beefy miracle!

Thank you, Captain Obvious!
--
Adam Williamson