Old 03-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Lennart Poettering

Default What's this /run directory doing on my system and where does it come from?

On Wed, 30.03.11 09:35, Adam Miller (maxamillion@fedoraproject.org) wrote:

> Again, I'm not against that this is being done, but I would like to see
> everyone equally follow suit on the way things are traditionally done
> in Fedora land.

Well, the technical change is actually minimal, and this is mostly a
contract between dracut, systemd, udev, and very few other low-level
packages.

The real technical changes will come when we make /var/run a symlink,
since that probably needs some changes with a wider impact on other
packages. That is planned for F16 and we'll require broader
acceptance. For that I will file a feature page.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Lennart Poettering

On Wed, 30.03.11 16:24, Chris Adams (cmadams@hiwaay.net) wrote:

> Once upon a time, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@freenet.de> said:
> > How about /var/run ??
> >
> > What would be wrong with it?
>
> I believe the need is for something guaranteed to be on the root
> filesystem, and having a separate /var is still valid.
>
> I'm not sure why this doesn't go under /etc, but if I were king, the
> proliferation of kernel filesystems (proc, sys, cgroup, selinux, etc.)
> would be under /kernel, so maybe that's just me.

/etc is static configuration data.

/run is volatile runtime data.

/etc is read-only during boot.

/run is writable all the way.