Old 03-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Matthew Miller

Default This *is* FHS compliant

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 02:30:40PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Also, can somebody point me to the place where the FHS would say "no
> other directories below / are allowed"? I can't find that. And hence
> this change is perfectly FHS compliant.

More than that, it's explicitly allowed. So we're good. See:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEROOTFILESYSTEM

Applications must never create or require special files or subdirectories
in the root directory.

[...]

Distributions should not create new directories in the root hierarchy
without extremely careful consideration of the consequences including for
application portability.

We're a distribution. And it's clear that the careful consideration has been
done -- including the requisite dealing with application portability.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>