Old 03-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Lennart Poettering

Default What's this /run directory doing on my system and where does it come from?

On Wed, 30.03.11 15:08, Ralf Corsepius (rc040203@freenet.de) wrote:

> On 03/30/2011 02:30 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Wed, 30.03.11 18:04, Rahul Sundaram (metherid@gmail.com) wrote:
> >

> > Also, can somebody point me to the place where the FHS would say "no
> > other directories below / are allowed"? I can't find that. And hence
> > this change is perfectly FHS compliant.
>
> It's in the preface of the root file system section:
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEROOTFILESYSTEM
>
> <cite>
> Applications must never create or require special files or
> subdirectories in the root directory. Other locations in the FHS
> hierarchy provide more than enough flexibility for any package.
> </cite>

Well, we are not an "application", are we?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Kevin Kofler

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> There are many directories already in Fedora that are not defined by FHS
> and even though we have asked them to update it (libexec, /selinux
> /sys etc), there is noone maintaining it.

FWIW, libexec can be argued not to be a violation of the current FHS,
because the FHS allows suffixed lib* for multilib purposes, and libexec can
be argued to be the multilibbed libdir with the suffix "exec", designed for
the architecture "native ELF executables, as opposed to shared libraries".

Of course that's not the intent of the specification as written, but there's
nothing in the letter of the FHS which would forbid this interpretation. :-)

Kevin Kofler

Old 03-30-2011, 05:55 PM
John Reiser

On 03/30/2011 10:24 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> It's perfectly possible, and has been done lots
> of times, to simply go ahead and commit significant changes that _could_
> have been 'features', not submit them as features, and happily bypass
> the entire 'feature' process with all its bureaucracy. /run would
> certainly not be close to being the first time this has happened.

Please give specific examples that previously evaded the 'feature' process.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:08 PM
"Clyde E. Kunkel"

On 03/30/2011 07:54 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Heya,
>
> I just uploaded a new version of systemd into F15, which establishes a
> directory /run in the root directory. Most likely you'll sooner or later
> stumble over it, so here's an explanation what this is and why this is.
>
> It's a fairly minor technical change, though presumably people consider
> this a bigger political change, so I guess this deserves an
> explanation:
>
> <snip>
> The actual code changes we needed to implement this scheme were trivial
> (basically, just bind mount /var/run and /var/lock instead of mounting two
> new tmpfs' to them.), which is why we opted to do this so late in the F15
> cycle. However, the political implications are much bigger I guess, so
> let's see what a fantastic flamewar we can start with this on
> fedora-devel now. Flame away!
>
> Lennart

Well, installed the new systemd, udev and dracut and rebooted several
times and rebuit the initramfs. Same ol' system (except for populated
/run dir), no smoke, no noises, no howling ghosts, etc. Nice quiet
change. Now to enjoy the flame war, it was kind of quiet on the fedora
front.

OldFart

Old 03-30-2011, 06:16 PM
John Reiser

On 03/30/2011 11:01 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 10:55 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
>> On 03/30/2011 10:24 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>> It's perfectly possible, and has been done lots
>>> of times, to simply go ahead and commit significant changes that _could_
>>> have been 'features', not submit them as features, and happily bypass
>>> the entire 'feature' process with all its bureaucracy. /run would
>>> certainly not be close to being the first time this has happened.
>>
>> Please give specific examples that previously evaded the 'feature' process.
>
> I have better things to do than spend my morning looking through old
> changelogs and freeze dates, thanks. Are you really suggesting it's
> never happened?

Giving specific examples, instead of only claiming "lots of times",
will help focus the discussion towards what really matters.
Terms with differing interpretations tend to feed flame wars.
If not even one specific case can be named from memory then
"lots of times" is doubtful.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 30.03.2011 20:01, schrieb Adam Williamson:

>> Please give specific examples that previously evaded the 'feature' process.
>
> I have better things to do than spend my morning looking through old
> changelogs and freeze dates, thanks. Are you really suggesting it's
> never happened?

if you have no example in mind from what you are speaking be quiet

there was work done to get not only fedora in the boat and instead be
happy that necessary changes are discussed in a wider range than
fedora-only you have not more to say as "i have better things to do"
and whine about to few political talk about technical needs?

so please do the better things instead flaming here about a
single folder which introducing is not political correct enough
for your eyes

Old 03-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 03/31/2011 12:00 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> so please do the better things instead flaming here about a
> single folder which introducing is not political correct enough
> for your eyes

Pretty sure you completely misunderstood Adam Williamson. He has not
flamed anybody.

Rahul