Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/)
-   -   Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/467878-adding-packages-buildroot-directly-updates-testing.html)

Henrik Nordström 12-20-2010 07:55 PM

Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing
 
fre 2010-12-17 klockan 11:22 +0100 skrev Michael Schwendt:

> +1 to some way of automating koji buildroot overrides (perhaps based
> on FAS group membership such as provenpackagers) in order to remove
> the releng bottleneck.

Suggestion on how to express this in the packaging process:
BuildRequires with a version requirement pulling in from updates-testing
if the required version can not be satisfied from the stable repository.

Will need some yum coding in using fallback on updates-testing or other
selected fallback repositories on dep failures. Something I think is
interesting for other activities as well.

This way the packager need to explicitly request the newer version in
the spec file to have it included in the build root, and builds are also
reproducible and self-contained with no sideband dependency requirements
outside the spec file.

Regards
Henrik

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

seth vidal 12-20-2010 07:58 PM

Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing
 
On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 21:55 +0100, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> fre 2010-12-17 klockan 11:22 +0100 skrev Michael Schwendt:
>
> > +1 to some way of automating koji buildroot overrides (perhaps based
> > on FAS group membership such as provenpackagers) in order to remove
> > the releng bottleneck.
>
> Suggestion on how to express this in the packaging process:
> BuildRequires with a version requirement pulling in from updates-testing
> if the required version can not be satisfied from the stable repository.
>
> Will need some yum coding in using fallback on updates-testing or other
> selected fallback repositories on dep failures. Something I think is
> interesting for other activities as well.
>
> This way the packager need to explicitly request the newer version in
> the spec file to have it included in the build root, and builds are also
> reproducible and self-contained with no sideband dependency requirements
> outside the spec file.
>

So you want contingency fall-through deps?

ie: BuildRequires: foo = 1.1.1 (but if that's not available foo =
1.0.0)?

How is that interesting other than making it possible to replicate the
build environment?

-sv


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Tom Callaway 12-20-2010 08:01 PM

Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing
 
On 12/20/2010 03:55 PM, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> Suggestion on how to express this in the packaging process:
> BuildRequires with a version requirement pulling in from updates-testing
> if the required version can not be satisfied from the stable repository.

I think a simpler idea is a minimal webapp (and perhaps a CLI interface)
that lets you login with your FAS account and request an override on a
built package that you have permissions for (and at the same time,
choose how long the override lasts from a list of predefined lengths),
and let a backend process handle the enable/disable.

~tom

==
Fedora Project
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

seth vidal 12-20-2010 08:02 PM

Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing
 
On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 15:58 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 21:55 +0100, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> > fre 2010-12-17 klockan 11:22 +0100 skrev Michael Schwendt:
> >
> > > +1 to some way of automating koji buildroot overrides (perhaps based
> > > on FAS group membership such as provenpackagers) in order to remove
> > > the releng bottleneck.
> >
> > Suggestion on how to express this in the packaging process:
> > BuildRequires with a version requirement pulling in from updates-testing
> > if the required version can not be satisfied from the stable repository.
> >
> > Will need some yum coding in using fallback on updates-testing or other
> > selected fallback repositories on dep failures. Something I think is
> > interesting for other activities as well.
> >
> > This way the packager need to explicitly request the newer version in
> > the spec file to have it included in the build root, and builds are also
> > reproducible and self-contained with no sideband dependency requirements
> > outside the spec file.
> >
>
> So you want contingency fall-through deps?
>
> ie: BuildRequires: foo = 1.1.1 (but if that's not available foo =
> 1.0.0)?
>
> How is that interesting other than making it possible to replicate the
> build environment?

interesting typo: s/possible/impossible/

-sv


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Henrik Nordström 12-20-2010 08:07 PM

Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing
 
mån 2010-12-20 klockan 15:58 -0500 skrev seth vidal:

> So you want contingency fall-through deps?

> ie: BuildRequires: foo = 1.1.1 (but if that's not available foo =
> 1.0.0)?

No, not quite.

pull in foo-1.1.1 from updates-testing if the requirement can not be
satisfied from updates. Applied recursively.

Regards
Henrik



--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

seth vidal 12-20-2010 08:15 PM

Adding packages to buildroot directly from updates-testing
 
On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 22:07 +0100, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> mån 2010-12-20 klockan 15:58 -0500 skrev seth vidal:
>
> > So you want contingency fall-through deps?
>
> > ie: BuildRequires: foo = 1.1.1 (but if that's not available foo =
> > 1.0.0)?
>
> No, not quite.
>
> pull in foo-1.1.1 from updates-testing if the requirement can not be
> satisfied from updates. Applied recursively.
>

So you want to give updates-testing preferential value over updates
despite their being no e-v-r difference between the pkgs? If so - you
can do that now with yum's cost value.

-sv


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:42 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.