-   -   Is xz implicit BuildRequires? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/467687-xz-implicit-buildrequires.html)

Petr Pisar 12-20-2010 09:32 AM

Is xz implicit BuildRequires?

Hello,

I have a package where upstream provides tar balls compressed by xz.
Building in koji (F15) works as xz is part of group `build' or it's
pulled by rpmbuild (can be seen in root.log). However Packaging
Guidelines: BuildRequires: Exception
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Exceptions_2> does
not list the xz package.

Is xz implicit and is not just listed in guidelines by a mistake? Or do
I have to BuildRequire xz package explicitelly?

-- Petr

Ralf Corsepius 12-20-2010 10:29 AM

On 12/20/2010 11:32 AM, Petr Pisar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a package where upstream provides tar balls compressed by xz.
> Building in koji (F15) works as xz is part of group `build' or it's
> pulled by rpmbuild (can be seen in root.log). However Packaging
> Guidelines: BuildRequires: Exception
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Exceptions_2> does
> not list the xz package.
>
> Is xz implicit and is not just listed in guidelines by a mistake?

It's implicitly pulled in by rpm:
# rpm -q --requires rpm-build | grep xz
xz

> Or do
> I have to BuildRequire xz package explicitelly?
No. IIRC off-head, all current Fedoras and RHELs > 5
have xz-support built-in.

Ralf