-   -   Broken dependency for RHEL6 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/467419-broken-dependency-rhel6.html)

Paulo Cavalcanti 12-19-2010 08:43 AM

Broken dependency for RHEL6

Hi,

I am receiving the following email from Koji:

fmtools has broken dependencies in the epel-6 tree:

On x86_64:

* * * *fmtools-tkradio-2.0.1-2.el6.noarch requires python-lirc

On i386:

* * * *fmtools-tkradio-2.0.1-2.el6.noarch requires python-lirc

On ppc64:

* * * *fmtools-tkradio-2.0.1-2.el6.noarch requires python-lirc

Please resolve this as soon as possible.

It is just a question of buiding python-lirc, which
builds fine even on RHEL 5.

I have never built anything for RHEL (epel).

Can I do that? What is the procedure?

Thanks.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ

Jon Ciesla 12-19-2010 01:13 PM

On 12/19/2010 03:43 AM, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am receiving the following email from Koji:

> fmtools has broken dependencies in the epel-6 tree:
> On x86_64:
> fmtools-tkradio-2.0.1-2.el6.
> noarch requires python-lirc
> On i386:
> fmtools-tkradio-2.0.1-2.el6.noarch requires python-lirc
> On ppc64:
> fmtools-tkradio-2.0.1-2.el6.noarch requires python-lirc
> Please resolve this as soon as possible.

> It is just a question of buiding python-lirc, which
> builds fine even on RHEL 5.
>
> I have never built anything for RHEL (epel).
> Can I do that? What is the procedure?
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
> LCG - UFRJ

If the el6 branch exists, which it might if it had an el5 branch, just:

fedpkg clone python-lirc ; cd python-lirc ; fedpkg switch-branch el6 ;
fedpkg build

If it doesn't exist, find the review bug and file a SCM maintenence
request there, complete with cvs-admin flag=?, for an el6 branch.

Once that's fulfilled, do the above.

Paulo Cavalcanti 12-19-2010 01:31 PM

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Jon Ciesla <limb@jcomserv.net> wrote:

On 12/19/2010 03:43 AM, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

> Hi,

> I am receiving the following email from Koji:

> fmtools has broken dependencies in the epel-6 tree:

> On x86_64:

> * * * * fmtools-tkradio-2.0.1-2.el6.

> noarch requires python-lirc

> On i386:

> * * * * fmtools-tkradio-2.0.1-2.el6.noarch requires python-lirc

> On ppc64:

> * * * * fmtools-tkradio-2.0.1-2.el6.noarch requires python-lirc

> Please resolve this as soon as possible.

> It is just a question of buiding python-lirc, which

> builds fine even on RHEL 5.

> I have never built anything for RHEL (epel).

> Can I do that? What is the procedure?

> Thanks.

> --

> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti

> LCG - UFRJ

If the el6 branch exists, which it might if it had an el5 branch, just:

fedpkg clone python-lirc ; cd python-lirc ; fedpkg switch-branch el6 ;

fedpkg build

If it doesn't exist, find the review bug and file a SCM maintenence

request there, complete with cvs-admin flag=?, for an el6 branch.

That is the problem. python-lirc has never been built for RHEL.

I know it works because I built it myself on rhel5 a long time ago, and
I run it there just fine.

I will do the request as you suggested.

Thanks.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ

Kevin Fenzi 12-19-2010 05:02 PM

Broken dependency for RHEL6

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:31:16 -0200
Paulo Cavalcanti <promac@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is the problem. python-lirc has never been built for RHEL.
>
> I know it works because I built it myself on rhel5 a long time ago,
> and I run it there just fine.
>
> I will do the request as you suggested.

You may also wish to request co-maintainer status in pkgdb if you would
like to help maintain this package. It looks like it's owned by thias.

kevin

Paulo Cavalcanti 12-20-2010 11:07 AM

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:31:16 -0200

Paulo Cavalcanti <promac@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is the problem. python-lirc has never been built for RHEL.

> I know it works because I built it myself on rhel5 a long time ago,

> and I run it there just fine.

> I will do the request as you suggested.

You may also wish to request co-maintainer status in pkgdb if you would

like to help maintain this package. It looks like it's owned by thias.

Well, I changed the code for not requiring python-lirc and updated rawhide successfully.

But it seems I can not build for RHEL6* (but rhel6 is listed on packagedb for fmtools ...)

[cascavel:~/cvs/fmtools] git push
Counting objects: 13, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (7/7), done.
Writing objects: 100% (7/7), 1.20 KiB, done.
Total 7 (delta 5), reused 0 (delta 0)

remote: W refs/heads/el6/master roma DENIED by refs/heads/el[0-9]
remote: error: hook declined to update refs/heads/el6/master
To ssh://roma@pkgs.fedoraproject.org/fmtools

*! [remote rejected] el6 -> el6/master (hook declined)
error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://roma@pkgs.fedoraproject.org/fmtools'

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ

Jon Ciesla 12-20-2010 11:56 AM

Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com
> <mailto:kevin@scrye.com>> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:31:16 -0200
> Paulo Cavalcanti <promac@gmail.com <mailto:promac@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> > That is the problem. python-lirc has never been built for RHEL.
> >
> > I know it works because I built it myself on rhel5 a long time ago,
> > and I run it there just fine.
> >
> > I will do the request as you suggested.
>
> You may also wish to request co-maintainer status in pkgdb if you
> would
> like to help maintain this package. It looks like it's owned by thias.
>

> Well, I changed the code for not requiring python-lirc and updated
> rawhide successfully.
>
> But it seems I can not build for RHEL6 (but rhel6 is listed on
> packagedb for fmtools ...)
>
> [cascavel:~/cvs/fmtools] git push
> Counting objects: 13, done.
> Delta compression using up to 4 threads.
> Compressing objects: 100% (7/7), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (7/7), 1.20 KiB, done.
> Total 7 (delta 5), reused 0 (delta 0)
> remote: W refs/heads/el6/master roma DENIED by refs/heads/el[0-9]
> remote: error: hook declined to update refs/heads/el6/master
> To ssh://roma@pkgs.fedoraproject.org/fmtools
> <http://roma@pkgs.fedoraproject.org/fmtools>
> ! [remote rejected] el6 -> el6/master (hook declined)
> error: failed to push some refs to
> 'ssh://roma@pkgs.fedoraproject.org/fmtools
> <http://roma@pkgs.fedoraproject.org/fmtools>'
>

> --
> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
> LCG - UFRJ
You don't have access in pkgdb for el6. You'll need to request it.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/fmtools

in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie

Nicolas Chauvet 12-20-2010 11:57 AM

2010/12/20 Paulo Cavalcanti <promac@gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:31:16 -0200
>> Paulo Cavalcanti <promac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > That is the problem. python-lirc has never been built for RHEL.
>> >
>> > I know it works because I built it myself on rhel5 a long time ago,
>> > and I run it there just fine.
>> >
>> > I will do the request as you suggested.
>>
>> You may also wish to request co-maintainer status in pkgdb if you would
>> like to help maintain this package. It looks like it's owned by thias.
>>

> Well, I changed the code for not requiring python-lirc and updated rawhide
> successfully.
Can you revert that, rawhide has python-lirc so it doesn't help to
remove it there.

> But it seems I can not build for RHEL6* (but rhel6 is listed on packagedb
> for fmtools ...)
You need to request it for EPEL-6, but it's weird that you have been
warned about a broken depedency on a branch that you wasn't a commiter
yet.

Nicolas (kwizart)

Paulo Cavalcanti 12-20-2010 01:24 PM

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart@gmail.com> wrote:

2010/12/20 Paulo Cavalcanti <promac@gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:

>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:31:16 -0200

>> Paulo Cavalcanti <promac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > That is the problem. python-lirc has never been built for RHEL.

>> > I know it works because I built it myself on rhel5 a long time ago,

>> > and I run it there just fine.

>> > I will do the request as you suggested.

>> You may also wish to request co-maintainer status in pkgdb if you would

>> like to help maintain this package. It looks like it's owned by thias.

> Well, I changed the code for not requiring python-lirc and updated rawhide

> successfully.

Can you revert that, rawhide has python-lirc so it doesn't help to

remove it there.

It is not necessary. If python-lirc is installed it will be used (it is only not
installed by default).

I think Requires(hint) should have this function, but in fact it enforces

the same way as just an ordinary Requires.
*

> But it seems I can not build for RHEL6* (but rhel6 is listed on packagedb

> for fmtools ...)

You need to request it for EPEL-6, but it's weird that you have been

warned about a broken depedency on a branch that you wasn't a commiter

yet.

I think other people in a similar situation are also receiving these warnings.
*
--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ

Kevin Kofler 12-20-2010 04:47 PM

Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
> I think Requires(hint) should have this function, but in fact it enforces
> the same way as just an ordinary Requires.

RPM (at least rpm.org RPM, which we use; I have no idea about what rpm5.org
does) doesn't actually support Requires(hint). It just treats this as a
regular Requires, and future versions are likely to error entirely when they
see it.

Kevin Kofler

Panu Matilainen 12-21-2010 05:26 AM

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
>> I think Requires(hint) should have this function, but in fact it enforces
>> the same way as just an ordinary Requires.
>
> RPM (at least rpm.org RPM, which we use; I have no idea about what rpm5.org
> does) doesn't actually support Requires(hint). It just treats this as a
> regular Requires, and future versions are likely to error entirely when they
> see it.

More precisely, there's an ancient flaw in the spec parser which allows
unknown dependency qualifiers to slip through in some situations.
Requires(hint) is just as meaningful to rpm as Requires(iwantmypony),
literally, and both will report an error in some combinations of
and on others (such as when they're the only qualifier) it'll
slip through and end up treated as regular requires.

And future versions WILL error out on them.

- Panu -