Old 12-17-2010, 04:07 AM
Matt Domsch

Default biosdevname v0.3.4

biosdevname, now version 0.3.4.

The main visible change is that port indices now start at 1 rather
than 0, when assigned by biosdevname (such as falling back to PIRQ)
rather explicitly assigned by BIOS. This is in keeping with how the
indices are assigned by BIOS on Dell and HP servers.

em<port> where port starts at 1
pci<slot>#<port> where port starts at 1

As a side effect, the first VMware Workstation guest NIC now appears as pci3#1
because the virtual machine BIOS exposes the device as being in a PCI
slot via PIRQ.

This also drops an explicit dependency check on a particular udev
version. That version was supposed to properly handle parallel
conflicting renames when swizzling within the ethX namespace, but as
we've discovered, that doesn't always work. The udev in RHEL5 is
older than what we were specifying, but it works just fine, so no more
check.

Furthermore, if biosdevname somehow messes up (either through its own
bug or because of a buggy BIOS), and would assign the same name to two
different devices, it won't try to assign names to either (who knows
which is correct?). You can see the duplciates when running with the
-d debug option.

Grab it here:
http://linux.dell.com/files/biosdevname/permalink/biosdevname-0.3.4.tar.gz
http://linux.dell.com/files/biosdevname/permalink/biosdevname-0.3.4.tar.gz.sign
git://linux.dell.com/biosdevname.git

I built this today for Fedora rawhide (will be 15), and I encourage
other distributions to pick it up as well.

shortlog:

Matt Domsch (5):
require any udev
Return nothing if duplicate names would be assigned.
Don't assign names to unknown devices
only supress duplicates, not all names if any duplicates exist
start with port index 1, not index 0

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

Old 12-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Simon Yan

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch@dell.com> wrote:
> biosdevname, now version 0.3.4.
>
> The main visible change is that port indices now start at 1 rather
> than 0, when assigned by biosdevname (such as falling back to PIRQ)
> rather explicitly assigned by BIOS. *This is in keeping with how the
> indices are assigned by BIOS on Dell and HP servers.
>

> em<port> * * * * where port starts at 1
> pci<slot>#<port> where port starts at 1
>
> As a side effect, the first VMware Workstation guest NIC now appears as pci3#1
> because the virtual machine BIOS exposes the device as being in a PCI
> slot via PIRQ.
>

> This also drops an explicit dependency check on a particular udev
> version. *That version was supposed to properly handle parallel
> conflicting renames when swizzling within the ethX namespace, but as
> we've discovered, that doesn't always work. *The udev in RHEL5 is
> older than what we were specifying, but it works just fine, so no more
> check.
>
> Furthermore, if biosdevname somehow messes up (either through its own
> bug or because of a buggy BIOS), and would assign the same name to two
> different devices, it won't try to assign names to either (who knows
> which is correct?). *You can see the duplciates when running with the
> -d debug option.
>

> Grab it here:
> http://linux.dell.com/files/biosdevname/permalink/biosdevname-0.3.4.tar.gz
> http://linux.dell.com/files/biosdevname/permalink/biosdevname-0.3.4.tar.gz.sign
> git://linux.dell.com/biosdevname.git
>
> I built this today for Fedora rawhide (will be 15), and I encourage
> other distributions to pick it up as well.
>
> shortlog:
>
> Matt Domsch (5):
> * * *require any udev
> * * *Return nothing if duplicate names would be assigned.
> * * *Don't assign names to unknown devices
> * * *only supress duplicates, not all names if any duplicates exist
> * * *start with port index 1, not index 0

Hi Matt,

This is neat, thanks for the effort.
Just tried it and works great.

One suggestion, can you add the logic if the program is not executed
by root it exits with a non-0 value and print out a warning message?

> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> --
> Matt Domsch
> Technology Strategist
> Dell | Office of the CTO

Simon Yan

http://www.google.com/profiles/simonyanix

Old 12-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Matt Domsch

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 04:57:35PM +0800, Simon Yan wrote:
> This is neat, thanks for the effort.
> Just tried it and works great.
>
> One suggestion, can you add the logic if the program is not executed
> by root it exits with a non-0 value and print out a warning message?

That's a good idea for now. Ideally we would expose all the necessary
bits in sysfs so it wouldn't need to be root (right now it reads
/dev/mem), but enough bits are missing from sysfs today that it isn't
feasible.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

Old 12-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Matt Domsch

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 07:16:56AM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 04:57:35PM +0800, Simon Yan wrote:
> > This is neat, thanks for the effort.
> > Just tried it and works great.
> >
> > One suggestion, can you add the logic if the program is not executed
> > by root it exits with a non-0 value and print out a warning message?
>
> That's a good idea for now. Ideally we would expose all the necessary
> bits in sysfs so it wouldn't need to be root (right now it reads
> /dev/mem), but enough bits are missing from sysfs today that it isn't
> feasible.

Patch is in upstream now, will be in the next release.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch