Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/)
-   -   Orphaning system-auto-death (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/466005-orphaning-system-auto-death.html)

seth vidal 12-15-2010 01:24 PM

Orphaning system-auto-death
 
After this bug:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=663340

I realize I'm not remembering to update the EOL date often enough.

So, I'm orphaning system-auto-death. If no one steps up to take care of
it I'm going to issue an update which disables the cron job.


-sv


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Matthew Miller 12-15-2010 02:11 PM

Orphaning system-auto-death
 
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 09:24:40AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> After this bug:
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=663340
>
> I realize I'm not remembering to update the EOL date often enough.
>
> So, I'm orphaning system-auto-death. If no one steps up to take care of
> it I'm going to issue an update which disables the cron job.

Could it be changed so that the deathdate is determined automatically when
the package is installed? Perhaps N months (18? 24?) from the build date of
fedora-release?

Or rather than setting it at install time, maybe make it six months after
the last yum update was received? Or count from when the last package was
installed. Or from the last date in the yum metadata.


--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect -- Instructional & Research Computing Services
Harvard School of Engineering & Applied Sciences
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

seth vidal 12-15-2010 02:16 PM

Orphaning system-auto-death
 
On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 10:11 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 09:24:40AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > After this bug:
> > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=663340
> >
> > I realize I'm not remembering to update the EOL date often enough.
> >
> > So, I'm orphaning system-auto-death. If no one steps up to take care of
> > it I'm going to issue an update which disables the cron job.
>
> Could it be changed so that the deathdate is determined automatically when
> the package is installed? Perhaps N months (18? 24?) from the build date of
> fedora-release?
>
> Or rather than setting it at install time, maybe make it six months after
> the last yum update was received? Or count from when the last package was
> installed. Or from the last date in the yum metadata.
>

maybe - but I have no interest in doing so.

If you want the pkg - you're welcome to do it but it's not useful to me.

-sv


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Matthew Miller 12-15-2010 04:07 PM

Orphaning system-auto-death
 
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:16:54AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> maybe - but I have no interest in doing so.
> If you want the pkg - you're welcome to do it but it's not useful to me.

I guess the question is: Does *anyone* but me care?

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect -- Instructional & Research Computing Services
Harvard School of Engineering & Applied Sciences
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

seth vidal 12-15-2010 04:09 PM

Orphaning system-auto-death
 
On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 12:07 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:16:54AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > maybe - but I have no interest in doing so.
> > If you want the pkg - you're welcome to do it but it's not useful to me.
>
> I guess the question is: Does *anyone* but me care?

I suspect not b/c there's only one person reporting that their f13 or
f14 system went offline today. :)

I'm going to orphan it and block it from rawhide.

Matt,
If you could check the updates I just pushed and add karma I'd
appreciate it.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/system-autodeath-0.3-2.fc13
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/system-autodeath-0.3-2.fc14

Thanks,
-sv




--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Matthew Miller 12-16-2010 12:24 AM

Orphaning system-auto-death
 
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:09:50PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > I guess the question is: Does *anyone* but me care?
> I suspect not b/c there's only one person reporting that their f13 or
> f14 system went offline today. :)


Well, maybe it's working *really well*. :)


--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect -- Instructional & Research Computing Services
Harvard School of Engineering & Applied Sciences
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

seth vidal 12-16-2010 12:34 AM

Orphaning system-auto-death
 
On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 20:24 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:09:50PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > > I guess the question is: Does *anyone* but me care?
> > I suspect not b/c there's only one person reporting that their f13 or
> > f14 system went offline today. :)
>
>
> Well, maybe it's working *really well*. :)
>

So, do you want to take over the pkg?

-sv


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Matthew Miller 12-16-2010 12:59 AM

Orphaning system-auto-death
 
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 08:34:30PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > > I suspect not b/c there's only one person reporting that their f13 or
> > > f14 system went offline today. :)
> > Well, maybe it's working *really well*. :)
> So, do you want to take over the pkg?

Yeah, okay.

I think I'll change the f15 deadline to very-far-in-the-future, and then
when I invent some spare time, work on some of the other ideas for automatic
determination of the time. That's better than not having the package
completely zapped.


--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect -- Instructional & Research Computing Services
Harvard School of Engineering & Applied Sciences
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Matthew Miller 12-16-2010 02:34 AM

Orphaning system-auto-death
 
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 08:59:19PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> I think I'll change the f15 deadline to very-far-in-the-future, and then
> when I invent some spare time, work on some of the other ideas for automatic
> determination of the time. That's better than not having the package
> completely zapped.

s/not//

:)

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect -- Instructional & Research Computing Services
Harvard School of Engineering & Applied Sciences
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

seth vidal 12-16-2010 01:18 PM

Orphaning system-auto-death
 
On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 22:34 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 08:59:19PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > I think I'll change the f15 deadline to very-far-in-the-future, and then
> > when I invent some spare time, work on some of the other ideas for automatic
> > determination of the time. That's better than not having the package
> > completely zapped.

I have released ownership
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/system-autodeath


go claim it and enjoy :)

-sv


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:44 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.