-   -   A GUI tool for Fedora Packagers (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/465328-gui-tool-fedora-packagers.html)

"Ratnadeep Debnath" 12-14-2010 02:38 AM

A GUI tool for Fedora Packagers

Hi,
I've been thinking for sometime now for a GUI for the Fedora Packagers. There are some steps during the packaging life cycle which needs to be repeated again and again. So, I was thinking of having some kind of one click system for updating the packages, like submitting for a koji scratch build, uploading the packages, updating bug request, etc.

I want to create a desktop app for this. If some steps have already in this regard, I would like to contribute to it, else I will start working on this project.

Thanks,
Regards,
rtnpro,
http://ratnadeepdebnath.wordpress.com/

---sent from Nokia C5---

"Chris Aniszczyk (zx)" 12-14-2010 02:46 AM

A GUI tool for Fedora Packagers

The Eclipse team within Red Hat has already developed something called the Eclipse Fedora Packager:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-October/144570.html
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Eclipse_Fedora_Packager_User_Guide

It's still in beta but essentially does what you describe.

At the moment, it integrates within the Eclipse IDE but can be modified to be more standalone if desired.

Cheers,

Chris Aniszczyk
http://aniszczyk.org
+1 860 839 2465

"Brendan Jones - I.T." 12-14-2010 02:46 AM

On 14/12/10 13:38, Ratnadeep Debnath wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been thinking for sometime now for a GUI for the Fedora Packagers. There are some steps during the packaging life cycle which needs to be repeated again and again. So, I was thinking of having some kind of one click system for updating the packages, like submitting for a koji scratch build, uploading the packages, updating bug request, etc.
>
> I want to create a desktop app for this. If some steps have already in this regard, I would like to contribute to it, else I will start working on this project.

Hi, this eclipse plugin was announced a few months ago:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-October/144570.html
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Eclipse_Fedora_Packager_User_Guide

regards,
Brendan

Mat Booth 12-14-2010 01:21 PM

On 14 December 2010 03:46, Chris Aniszczyk (zx) <zx@redhat.com> wrote:
> The Eclipse team within Red Hat has already developed something called the Eclipse Fedora Packager:
> * * http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-October/144570.html
> * * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Eclipse_Fedora_Packager_User_Guide
>
> It's still in beta but essentially does what you describe.
>
> At the moment, it integrates within the Eclipse IDE but can be modified to be more standalone if desired.
>
> Cheers,

I have been using eclipse-fedorapackager for a while now and it works
quite well, thanks for the effort that has gone into it.

My life revolves around Eclipse at my day job so using this plug-in
wasn't a leap, but I've found that many people who aren't developers
find Eclipse quite an overly large and intimidating product so maybe a
little RCP app would be quite neat for people who don't need a full
blown IDE. :-)

--
Mat Booth
http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

Ratnadeep Debnath 12-16-2010 04:09 PM

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Mat Booth <fedora@matbooth.co.uk> wrote:
> I have been using eclipse-fedorapackager for a while now and it works
> quite well, thanks for the effort that has gone into it.

+1

> My life revolves around Eclipse at my day job so using this plug-in
> wasn't a leap, but I've found that many people who aren't developers
> find Eclipse quite an overly large and intimidating product so maybe a
> little RCP app would be quite neat for people who don't need a full
> blown IDE. :-)

That is what I am also thinking. As it was said earlier, that a stand
alone version for Fedora Eclipse Packager can be made, we should start
working on that. The code already exists for the backend. We can
design a GUI with gtk+ and put all the features in a simple to use
interface.

Thanks,
Regards,
rtnpro

Mat Booth 12-16-2010 06:28 PM

On 16 December 2010 17:09, Ratnadeep Debnath <rtnpro@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Mat Booth <fedora@matbooth.co.uk> wrote:
>> I have been using eclipse-fedorapackager for a while now and it works
>> quite well, thanks for the effort that has gone into it.
>>

> +1
>
>> My life revolves around Eclipse at my day job so using this plug-in
>> wasn't a leap, but I've found that many people who aren't developers
>> find Eclipse quite an overly large and intimidating product so maybe a
>> little RCP app would be quite neat for people who don't need a full
>> blown IDE. :-)
>>

> That is what I am also thinking. As it was said earlier, that a stand
> alone version for Fedora Eclipse Packager can be made, we should start
> working on that. The code already exists for the backend. We can
> design a GUI with gtk+ and put all the features in a simple to use
> interface.

Well, the GUI already exists as an Eclipse IDE plug-in, my suggestion
was to just turn that into an Eclipse Rich Client Platform application
(read up on Eclipse RCP to see what I mean.) I believe that is also
what Chris Aniszczyk hinted at. There's really no need to redesign it
from scratch!

Alexander Kurtakov 12-16-2010 06:40 PM

On 09:38:08 pm Thursday, December 16, 2010 Mat Booth wrote:
> On 16 December 2010 17:09, Ratnadeep Debnath <rtnpro@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Mat Booth <fedora@matbooth.co.uk> wrote:
> >> I have been using eclipse-fedorapackager for a while now and it works
> >> quite well, thanks for the effort that has gone into it.
> >
> > +1
> >
> >> My life revolves around Eclipse at my day job so using this plug-in
> >> wasn't a leap, but I've found that many people who aren't developers
> >> find Eclipse quite an overly large and intimidating product so maybe a
> >> little RCP app would be quite neat for people who don't need a full
> >> blown IDE. :-)
> >
> > That is what I am also thinking. As it was said earlier, that a stand
> > alone version for Fedora Eclipse Packager can be made, we should start
> > working on that. The code already exists for the backend. We can
> > design a GUI with gtk+ and put all the features in a simple to use
> > interface.
>
> Well, the GUI already exists as an Eclipse IDE plug-in, my suggestion
> was to just turn that into an Eclipse Rich Client Platform application
> (read up on Eclipse RCP to see what I mean.) I believe that is also
> what Chris Aniszczyk hinted at. There's really no need to redesign it
> from scratch!

I just have to add that if someone tries to make it from scratch he will have
to write a Git GUI and will lose all possible bugzilla integration(which can
be made quite easy thanks to Eclipse Mylyn).

Regards,
Alex

nodata 12-16-2010 07:02 PM

On 14/12/10 04:38, Ratnadeep Debnath wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been thinking for sometime now for a GUI for the Fedora Packagers. There are some steps during the packaging life cycle which needs to be repeated again and again. So, I was thinking of having some kind of one click system for updating the packages, like submitting for a koji scratch build, uploading the packages, updating bug request, etc.
>
> I want to create a desktop app for this. If some steps have already in this regard, I would like to contribute to it, else I will start working on this project.
>
> Thanks,
> Regards,
> rtnpro,
> http://ratnadeepdebnath.wordpress.com/
>
> ---sent from Nokia C5---

If you do this, please can it show (or have an option to show) the
commands it is running?

Severin Gehwolf 12-16-2010 07:24 PM

A GUI tool for Fedora Packagers

----- "Mat Booth" <fedora@matbooth.co.uk> wrote:
> > That is what I am also thinking. As it was said earlier, that a
> stand
> > alone version for Fedora Eclipse Packager can be made, we should
> start
> > working on that. The code already exists for the backend. We can
> > design a GUI with gtk+ and put all the features in a simple to use
> > interface.
> >

> Well, the GUI already exists as an Eclipse IDE plug-in, my suggestion
> was to just turn that into an Eclipse Rich Client Platform
> application
> (read up on Eclipse RCP to see what I mean.) I believe that is also
> what Chris Aniszczyk hinted at. There's really no need to redesign it
> from scratch!

Mat is right. IMO an RCP app would be the way to go if there's a desire
for a stripped down interface. It would certainly avoid reinventing the
wheel :)

Let me know if you are interested in contributing to Eclipse Fedora
Packager. Help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Severin