Old 12-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Michał Piotrowski

Default insane -19 nice level for system service (mailgraph) - is it acceptable?

Hi,

I noticed that this service uses insane nice level -19
http://notendur.hi.is/~johannbg/systemd/etc/rc.d/init.d/mailgraph
8-|

PRIORITY=-19
[..]
daemon nice $PRIORITY $exe -l $MAILLOG -d
--daemon-pid=/var/run/mailgraph.pid
--daemon-rrd=/var/lib/mailgraph $OPTIONS

The same priority is used in the sample script. Does this service
_really_ needs such insane nice level?

--
Best regards,
Michal

Sent from my iToaster

Old 12-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> said:
> I noticed that this service uses insane nice level -19
> http://notendur.hi.is/~johannbg/systemd/etc/rc.d/init.d/mailgraph
> 8-|
>
> PRIORITY=-19
> [..]
> daemon nice $PRIORITY $exe -l $MAILLOG -d
> --daemon-pid=/var/run/mailgraph.pid
> --daemon-rrd=/var/lib/mailgraph $OPTIONS
>
> The same priority is used in the sample script. Does this service
> _really_ needs such insane nice level?

Why do you (repeatedly) call it "insane"? That's kind of rude. The
process is running at a low priority level; do you have a problem with
that?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 12-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Michał Piotrowski

2010/12/8 Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>:
> Once upon a time, Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> said:
>> I noticed that this service uses insane nice level -19
>> http://notendur.hi.is/~johannbg/systemd/etc/rc.d/init.d/mailgraph
>> 8-|
>>
>> PRIORITY=-19
>> [..]
>> * * daemon nice $PRIORITY $exe -l $MAILLOG -d
>> * * * * --daemon-pid=/var/run/mailgraph.pid *
>> * * * * --daemon-rrd=/var/lib/mailgraph $OPTIONS
>>
>> The same priority is used in the sample script. Does this service
>> _really_ needs such insane nice level?
>
> Why do you (repeatedly) call it "insane"? *That's kind of rude.

Sorry

> *The
> process is running at a low priority level;

Nice -19 is the _higest_ priority - not low.

> do you have a problem with
> that?

Yes, I think that it's wrong.

> --
> Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>
> Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
> I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.

Best regards,
Michal

Sent from my iToaster

Old 12-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 10:57:21 -0600,
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> said:
> >
> > PRIORITY=-19

> Why do you (repeatedly) call it "insane"? That's kind of rude. The
> process is running at a low priority level; do you have a problem with
> that?

Aren't negative priorities higher? I think this is running at the max
priority, not the min one.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Camilo Mesias

Perhaps the issue is that the coding of the priority isn't intuitive.
I thought -20 was 'highest priority' and high numbers were 'lower
priority'

Would something more meaningful and unambiguous be better?

-Cam

Old 12-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 18:01:02 +0100
Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> wrote:

...snip...

> > do you have a problem with
> > that?
>
> Yes, I think that it's wrong.

File a bug on it?

Is there any reason this needs to be discussed on the devel list?

kevin

Old 12-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Michał Piotrowski

2010/12/8 Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 10:57:21 -0600,
> *Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote:
>> Once upon a time, Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> said:
>> >
>> > PRIORITY=-19
>
>> Why do you (repeatedly) call it "insane"? *That's kind of rude. *The
>> process is running at a low priority level; do you have a problem with
>> that?
>
> Aren't negative priorities higher? I think this is running at the max
> priority, not the min one.

Exactly

Best regards,
Michal

Sent from my iToaster

Old 12-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> said:
> 2010/12/8 Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>:
> > Once upon a time, Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> said:
> >> I noticed that this service uses insane nice level -19
> >> http://notendur.hi.is/~johannbg/systemd/etc/rc.d/init.d/mailgraph
> >> 8-|
> >>
> >> PRIORITY=-19
> >> [..]
> >> * * daemon nice $PRIORITY $exe -l $MAILLOG -d
> >> * * * * --daemon-pid=/var/run/mailgraph.pid *
> >> * * * * --daemon-rrd=/var/lib/mailgraph $OPTIONS
> >>
> >> The same priority is used in the sample script. Does this service
> >> _really_ needs such insane nice level?
> >
> > Why do you (repeatedly) call it "insane"? *That's kind of rude.
>
> Sorry
>
> > *The
> > process is running at a low priority level;
>
> Nice -19 is the _higest_ priority - not low.

I suggest you try the exact command given (and yes, the "nice" command
is confusing).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 12-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Michał Piotrowski

W dniu 8 grudnia 2010 18:02 użytkownik Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> napisał:
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 18:01:02 +0100
> Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>
>> > do you have a problem with
>> > that?
>>
>> Yes, I think that it's wrong.
>
> File a bug on it?

I'll just post systemd service without this sh...

> Is there any reason this needs to be discussed on the devel list?

I wanted to know if it's a bug or feature.

> kevin

Best regards,
Michal

Sent from my iToaster

Old 12-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> said:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 10:57:21 -0600,
> Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> > Once upon a time, Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> said:
> > >
> > > PRIORITY=-19
>
> > Why do you (repeatedly) call it "insane"? That's kind of rude. The
> > process is running at a low priority level; do you have a problem with
> > that?
>
> Aren't negative priorities higher? I think this is running at the max
> priority, not the min one.

Negative priorities are higher, but that's not what is being set. For
historical compatibilty, "nice" takes a numeric option as a nice value,
so "nice -n X" is the same as "nice -X" (it appears this behavior is not
documented). You can verify this:

$ nice -n 19 ps -o nice,cmd
NI CMD
19 ps -o nice,cmd