Old 12-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Andreas Schwab

Default insane -19 nice level for system service (mailgraph) - is it acceptable?

Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> writes:

> 2010/12/8 Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>:
>> Once upon a time, Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com> said:
>>> I noticed that this service uses insane nice level -19
>>> http://notendur.hi.is/~johannbg/systemd/etc/rc.d/init.d/mailgraph
>>> 8-|
>>>
>>> PRIORITY=-19
>>> [..]
>>> * * daemon nice $PRIORITY $exe -l $MAILLOG -d
>>> * * * * --daemon-pid=/var/run/mailgraph.pid *
>>> * * * * --daemon-rrd=/var/lib/mailgraph $OPTIONS
>>>
>>> The same priority is used in the sample script. Does this service
>>> _really_ needs such insane nice level?
>>
>> Why do you (repeatedly) call it "insane"? *That's kind of rude.
>
> Sorry
>
>> *The
>> process is running at a low priority level;
>
> Nice -19 is the _higest_ priority - not low.

No, it isn't. This is nice -19 == nice -n 19.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@redhat.com
GPG Key fingerprint = D4E8 DBE3 3813 BB5D FA84 5EC7 45C6 250E 6F00 984E

Old 12-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Michał Piotrowski

2010/12/8 Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>:
> Once upon a time, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> said:
>> On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 10:57:21 -0600,
>> * Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net> wrote:

>> > Why do you (repeatedly) call it "insane"? *That's kind of rude. *The
>> > process is running at a low priority level; do you have a problem with
>> > that?
>>
>> Aren't negative priorities higher? I think this is running at the max
>> priority, not the min one.
>
> Negative priorities are higher, but that's not what is being set. *For
> historical compatibilty, "nice" takes a numeric option as a nice value,
> so "nice -n X" is the same as "nice -X" (it appears this behavior is not
> documented). *You can verify this:
>
> $ nice -n 19 ps -o nice,cmd
> *NI CMD
> *19 ps -o nice,cmd
> $ nice -19 ps -o nice,cmd
> *NI CMD
> *19 ps -o nice,cmd

Indeed, sorry for noice.

> --
> Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>
> Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
> I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.

Best regards,
Michal

Sent from my iToaster