Old 12-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Stanislav Ochotnicky

Default Vacation/devaway system

Hi,

there have been quite a few unresponsive maintainers processes in past
few months + there are people that don't respond to emails in timely
fashion.

I'd like to have a system where anyone can see which maintainers are not
available at the moment and approximate time of return to "normal". It
would serve several purposes:
1. co-maintainers won't wait for main maintainer to fix something
2. when high-priority problems arise provenpackages can act
immediately instead of waiting for non-responsive maintainer to not
respond
3. This could serve as a factor in speeding up non-responsive
maintainer process. For example developer has no away status, but
hasn't responded to emails in ~ 2 weeks => gone (numbers just an
example)
4. Probably a few more...

I know we have [1], but as you can see, there are 4 people listed on
that page. That leads me to believe two things:
1. Most people don't know the page exists (I didn't until tibbs
pointed it out to me)
2. It's cumbersome to edit wiki for things like this

Obviously not every fedora maintainer has shell account so exact replica
of [2] wouldn't work, but I was thinking some nicer interface could be
provided. Maybe simple email with special subject line:
> FAS-name - $messsage

And then
> FAS-name - RE

to a special mailing list that would be processed by a bot? Or any other
alternative, just something simple that (most) people would use. I'd
even volunteer to create an app that would sit in the tray if it got
people to actually announce when they go away for longer than a weekend...

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Vacation
[2] http://dev.gentoo.org/devaway/

PGP: 71A1677C
Red Hat Inc. http://cz.redhat.com

Old 12-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Pierre-Yves

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 16:07 +0100, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
> Obviously not every fedora maintainer has shell account so exact
> replica
> of [2] wouldn't work, but I was thinking some nicer interface could be
> provided. Maybe simple email with special subject line:
> > FAS-name - $messsage
>
> And then
> > FAS-name - RE
>
> to a special mailing list that would be processed by a bot? Or any
> other
> alternative, just something simple that (most) people would use.

I like the mail idea, it is probably the most flexible.
We could also use/combine it with fedorapeople since to have one you
need every fedora packager fills the condition to have one:
You need an active Fedora account
You must be sponsored in a group (other than the CLA groups)
source: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/fedorapeople.org

The only thing I would ask is to keep the page for people with a FAS
account.

Pierre

Old 12-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Julian Aloofi

Am Mittwoch, den 08.12.2010, 16:07 +0100 schrieb Stanislav Ochotnicky:
> Hi,
>
> there have been quite a few unresponsive maintainers processes in past
> few months + there are people that don't respond to emails in timely
> fashion.
>
> I'd like to have a system where anyone can see which maintainers are not
> available at the moment and approximate time of return to "normal".

The point is not the system I think. A wiki page might not be the
optimal solution, but it defintely works. There also is a way to set
your FAS account to "vacation".
Maybe the fact that it'd be a good idea to write down somewhere that
you're going to be unresponsive for some weeks just needs more
promotion? The new maintainer guide might be a good place to hint at it.

Regards,
Julian

Old 12-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Kevin Kofler

Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
> I know we have [1], but as you can see, there are 4 people listed on
> that page. That leads me to believe two things:
> 1. Most people don't know the page exists (I didn't until tibbs
> pointed it out to me)
> 2. It's cumbersome to edit wiki for things like this

Well, some maintainers don't want to make that information public because
they're worried somebody's going to use it to steal the whole contents of
the maintainer's apartment.

Kevin Kofler

Old 12-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Stanislav Ochotnicky

On 12/11/2010 03:33 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
>> I know we have [1], but as you can see, there are 4 people listed on
>> that page. That leads me to believe two things:
>> 1. Most people don't know the page exists (I didn't until tibbs
>> pointed it out to me)
>> 2. It's cumbersome to edit wiki for things like this
>
> Well, some maintainers don't want to make that information public because
> they're worried somebody's going to use it to steal the whole contents of
> the maintainer's apartment.

Ehm, there is no need to tell the world you are leaving your apartment.
It's enough to say "Not gonna work on Fedora for 1 month due to personal
reasons". There. Or any pre-set away message. Even if it's available
only after logging into FAS.

The problem with current "vacation" status in FAS is that it's
cumbersome to set it (especially if I am away just for shorter period of
time). If people are to use it, it needs to be simple and quick.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Thomas Spura

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:07:51 +0100
Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> there have been quite a few unresponsive maintainers processes in past
> few months + there are people that don't respond to emails in timely
> fashion.
>
> I'd like to have a system where anyone can see which maintainers are
> not available at the moment and approximate time of return to
> "normal". It would serve several purposes:
> 1. co-maintainers won't wait for main maintainer to fix something
> 2. when high-priority problems arise provenpackages can act
> immediately instead of waiting for non-responsive maintainer to
> not respond
> 3. This could serve as a factor in speeding up non-responsive
> maintainer process. For example developer has no away status, but
> hasn't responded to emails in ~ 2 weeks => gone (numbers just an
> example)
> 4. Probably a few more...
>
> I know we have [1], but as you can see, there are 4 people listed on
> that page. That leads me to believe two things:
> 1. Most people don't know the page exists (I didn't until tibbs
> pointed it out to me)
> 2. It's cumbersome to edit wiki for things like this
>
> Obviously not every fedora maintainer has shell account so exact
> replica of [2] wouldn't work, but I was thinking some nicer interface
> could be provided. Maybe simple email with special subject line:
> > FAS-name - $messsage

Why not using fedorapeople for that?
I like this idea more, than clicking around in wiki ;-)

How about calling a maintainer non-responsive (and gone), after no bug
comment or mail on a fpo lise or a koji build for longer, than half a
year?
(I know an example for this kind of non-responsiveness, and this would
help here! I'm currently co-maintainer of that package, so I don't
care much about the fast-track procedure or the like...)

Thomas