Old 12-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Jesse Keating

Default Is there any value to per-Fedora branch ACLs?

While I'm looking into the git setup and ACLs and all this, I have a
question.

Is anybody seeing any real value of having different commit ACLs per
Fedora branch? I've seen some argument for EPEL vs Fedora, but is there
real value in ACLs for f13, f14, devel, etc...?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!

Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Jeff Spaleta

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> wrote:
> While I'm looking into the git setup and ACLs and all this, I have a
> question.
>
> Is anybody seeing any real value of having different commit ACLs per
> Fedora branch? *I've seen some argument for EPEL vs Fedora, but is there
> real value in ACLs for f13, f14, devel, etc...?

I'm not sure there is. I'd like an on ramp to recruit yet to be
sponsored contributors into helping out by allowing them to patch the
packaging without build or bodhi rights...give me the ability to
review their work and do the builds. But I don't need that on a per
branch level.

-jef

Old 12-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Roland McGrath

> Is anybody seeing any real value of having different commit ACLs per
> Fedora branch? I've seen some argument for EPEL vs Fedora, but is there
> real value in ACLs for f13, f14, devel, etc...?

The pkgdb interface distinguishes them. Apparently there was some
motivation for that in the first place. If the git hooks are not
going to distinguish them, then pkgdb should change not to either.

In my own experience, I've never put someone on any ACL for a package whom
I wouldn't trust to respect informal agreements about who should do what
commits to which branches. So any finer granularity on the ACL enforcement
is to avoid accidental braino commits, if anything.

Thanks,
Roland

Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Ian Weller

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 10:20:28AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> While I'm looking into the git setup and ACLs and all this, I have a
> question.
>
> Is anybody seeing any real value of having different commit ACLs per
> Fedora branch? I've seen some argument for EPEL vs Fedora, but is there
> real value in ACLs for f13, f14, devel, etc...?

I've never had a use case where I need to give someone access to only
one branch.

--
Ian Weller <ian@ianweller.org>

Old 12-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Mamoru Tasaka

Jesse Keating wrote, at 12/08/2010 03:20 AM +9:00:
> While I'm looking into the git setup and ACLs and all this, I have a
> question.
>
> Is anybody seeing any real value of having different commit ACLs per
> Fedora branch? I've seen some argument for EPEL vs Fedora, but is there
> real value in ACLs for f13, f14, devel, etc...?

There can be a case that F-13 package and F-14 package are completely
"different", even if the packages have the same name.

For example there may be a case that a package of older version
shipped in F-13 is written in perl, and new version shipped in F-14 is complete
rewritten in python (and I know one example, and for this case
re-review request for newer python version was submitted by the person
who was not the primary maintainer of perl version). In this case
for F-13 it may be reasonable that perl-sig is added in watchcommits,
however on F-14 it is perhaps meaningless. And even they may want to
change primary maintainer between these two (although for this case
the primary maintainer did not change finally).

Regards,
Mamoru

Old 12-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Till Maas

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 10:20:28AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> While I'm looking into the git setup and ACLs and all this, I have a
> question.
>
> Is anybody seeing any real value of having different commit ACLs per
> Fedora branch? I've seen some argument for EPEL vs Fedora, but is there
> real value in ACLs for f13, f14, devel, etc...?

There should be at least a distinction between EOL releases and non EOL
releases, e.g. someone having only commit access for F12 must not have
commit access for F13+ currently, because usually only ownership / ACLs
for current Fedora releases are up to date in PackageDB. And there
should still be a distinction in PackageDB for different
(co)maintainer for different Fedora releases.

Regards
Till

Old 12-07-2010, 07:24 PM
drago01

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> wrote:
> While I'm looking into the git setup and ACLs and all this, I have a
> question.
>
> Is anybody seeing any real value of having different commit ACLs per
> Fedora branch?

No

Old 12-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Jesse Keating

On 12/07/2010 10:25 AM, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> wrote:
>> While I'm looking into the git setup and ACLs and all this, I have a
>> question.
>>
>> Is anybody seeing any real value of having different commit ACLs per
>> Fedora branch? I've seen some argument for EPEL vs Fedora, but is there
>> real value in ACLs for f13, f14, devel, etc...?
>

> I'm not sure there is. I'd like an on ramp to recruit yet to be
> sponsored contributors into helping out by allowing them to patch the
> packaging without build or bodhi rights...give me the ability to
> review their work and do the builds. But I don't need that on a per
> branch level.
>
> -jef

That can be accomplished by having them do an anonymous clone, commit
their changes locally, and send you the changes via git send-email. If
you like them, you can git am the emails and the changes will appear in
the repo as authored and with the changelog of the potential contributor.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Jesse Keating

On 12/07/2010 10:27 AM, Roland McGrath wrote:
> The pkgdb interface distinguishes them. Apparently there was some
> motivation for that in the first place. If the git hooks are not
> going to distinguish them, then pkgdb should change not to either.

Currently the git ACLs do enforce per-branch ACLs. It does make the acl
config rather lengthy and the logic behind it a bit cumbersome, but it
works.

> In my own experience, I've never put someone on any ACL for a package whom
> I wouldn't trust to respect informal agreements about who should do what
> commits to which branches. So any finer granularity on the ACL enforcement
> is to avoid accidental braino commits, if anything.

Since it's so easy to undo things in git I think this is less of a concern.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Jesse Keating

On 12/07/2010 11:22 AM, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
> There can be a case that F-13 package and F-14 package are completely
> "different", even if the packages have the same name.
>
> For example there may be a case that a package of older version
> shipped in F-13 is written in perl, and new version shipped in F-14 is complete
> rewritten in python (and I know one example, and for this case
> re-review request for newer python version was submitted by the person
> who was not the primary maintainer of perl version). In this case
> for F-13 it may be reasonable that perl-sig is added in watchcommits,
> however on F-14 it is perhaps meaningless. And even they may want to
> change primary maintainer between these two (although for this case
> the primary maintainer did not change finally).

primary maintainer doesn't really matter. Bugzilla doesn't do owners
per release, there is just one owner for Fedora, and one for EPEL.

The matter of watchcommits is interesting, but I wonder if that really
needs to be tied to pkgdb or if in the future we have a better way of
"subscribing" to data regarding a particular package/branch/whatever.