Old 12-06-2010, 11:28 PM
"Jason L Tibbitts III"

Default Fedora default services

MP> Dear FPC people, could you provide this list in the near future?

We haven't even met since it was decided that we were to do this. I
imagine it would take a couple of meetings to bang out a list.

- J<

Old 12-06-2010, 11:28 PM
"Jason L Tibbitts III"

Old 12-07-2010, 02:53 AM
Genes MailLists

On 12/06/2010 07:07 PM, Michał Piotrowski wrote:

>> A desktop
>> user may never ssh to his/her own machine.
>
> That's why it should be socket activated as soon as possible

Question - what do we imagine happens if user starts a service
listening on port 2222 (which happens to be sshd) ? Will the firewall
open up that port to the outside ? Or is the answer nothing as 2222 is
not a designated auto start service ?

Old 12-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Daniel J Walsh

Old 12-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Genes MailLists

On 12/07/2010 10:20 AM, Michał Piotrowski wrote:

> How many users use NFS on desktop? This is not even used on all servers.
>
> So the question is - do we want to have NFS by default?
>
> I use samba and I don't want to force all users to install it by default.

No idea how many but count me in - on our home network (assume thats
what a desktop is?) we use NFS for all the linux boxes (and mac's), and
samba for the small number of windows machines.

Are you talking of LiveCD install or regular full install - on the
latter for sure NFS should be installed - in my view. The former I never
use :-)

Old 12-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Michał Piotrowski

2010/12/7 Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com>:
> On 12/07/2010 10:20 AM, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>
>> How many users use NFS on desktop? This is not even used on all servers.
>>
>> So the question is - do we want to have NFS by default?
>>
>> I use samba and I don't want to force all users to install it by default.
>>

> * No idea how many but count me in - on our home network (assume thats
> what a desktop is?) we use NFS for all the linux boxes (and mac's), and
> samba for the small number of windows machines.
>
> * Are you talking of LiveCD install or regular full install - on the
> latter for sure NFS should be installed - in my view. The former I never
> use :-)

Ok, but IMO NFS is not something essential and crucial for 99% boxes
out there, that needs to be turned on by default for all users. Do we
agree with this?

--
Best regards,
Michal