Old 12-03-2010, 08:24 AM
"Fabio M. Di Nitto"

Default Help to solve a possible circular Requires:

Hi all,

I am seeking some help here to solve a possible $subject. I have been
trying to find a simple alternate solution, but I just canīt see it or
itīs not obvious to me.

This is the situation:

srpm foo 1.0 ships 2 rpmīs bar and baz. bar has a daemon inside.

due to upstream split:

srpm foo 1.1 now ships only bar rpm without the daemon.

srpm baz 1.1 now ships 2 rpmīs, baz (exactly as in version 1.0) and
baz-something that contains the barīs daemon from 1.0.

In order to avoid upgrade issues, we need to make sure that bar 1.1 will
pull in baz-something 1.1 (to retain functionality), at the same time
baz-something requires bar 1.1 to operate at all.

There is no requirement for a strictly versioned Requires: on both
sides. baz-something Requires: bar >= 1.1, and bar Requires:
baz-something (no version need since itīs a new rpm).

>From local testing, the circular Requires works just fine, both in
upgrades and clean install (tested with yum and manual rpm), but I donīt
like it.

Is there a better way to achieve this upgrade path?

Thanks
Fabio

Old 12-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Chen Lei

2010/12/3 Fabio M. Di Nitto <fdinitto@redhat.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I am seeking some help here to solve a possible $subject. I have been
> trying to find a simple alternate solution, but I just canīt see it or
> itīs not obvious to me.
>
> This is the situation:
>
> srpm foo 1.0 ships 2 rpmīs bar and baz. bar has a daemon inside.
>
> due to upstream split:
>
> srpm foo 1.1 now ships only bar rpm without the daemon.
>
> srpm baz 1.1 now ships 2 rpmīs, baz (exactly as in version 1.0) and
> baz-something that contains the barīs daemon from 1.0.
>
> In order to avoid upgrade issues, we need to make sure that bar 1.1 will
> pull in baz-something 1.1 (to retain functionality), at the same time
> baz-something requires bar 1.1 to operate at all.
>
> There is no requirement for a strictly versioned Requires: on both
> sides. baz-something Requires: bar >= 1.1, and bar Requires:
> baz-something (no version need since itīs a new rpm).
>
> >From local testing, the circular Requires works just fine, both in
> upgrades and clean install (tested with yum and manual rpm), but I donīt
> like it.
>
> Is there a better way to achieve this upgrade path?
>
> Thanks
> Fabio
> --
You might be able to find some related information from
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrade_paths_%E2%80%94_renaming_or_splitting_pack ages

Chen Lei

Old 12-03-2010, 03:20 PM
James Antill

On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 10:24 +0100, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am seeking some help here to solve a possible $subject. I have been
> trying to find a simple alternate solution, but I just canīt see it or
> itīs not obvious to me.
>
> This is the situation:
>
> srpm foo 1.0 ships 2 rpmīs bar and baz. bar has a daemon inside.
>
> due to upstream split:
>
> srpm foo 1.1 now ships only bar rpm without the daemon.
>
> srpm baz 1.1 now ships 2 rpmīs, baz (exactly as in version 1.0) and
> baz-something that contains the barīs daemon from 1.0.
>
> In order to avoid upgrade issues, we need to make sure that bar 1.1 will
> pull in baz-something 1.1 (to retain functionality), at the same time
> baz-something requires bar 1.1 to operate at all.
>
> There is no requirement for a strictly versioned Requires: on both
> sides. baz-something Requires: bar >= 1.1, and bar Requires:
> baz-something (no version need since itīs a new rpm).

The above reads more complicated than I think it is. I assume you have
two problems:

1. When moving from foo-1.0 => foo-1.1 and baz-1.1, you have a package
split ... this implies using versioned Obsoletes (<= 1.0) on bar from
baz-something.

2. In baz-something-1.1 you have a normal requires on bar-1.1 ... so
just add a versioned (>= 1.1) require.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:24 AM
"Fabio M. Di Nitto"

On 12/03/2010 05:20 PM, James Antill wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 10:24 +0100, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am seeking some help here to solve a possible $subject. I have been
>> trying to find a simple alternate solution, but I just canīt see it or
>> itīs not obvious to me.
>>
>> This is the situation:
>>
>> srpm foo 1.0 ships 2 rpmīs bar and baz. bar has a daemon inside.
>>
>> due to upstream split:
>>
>> srpm foo 1.1 now ships only bar rpm without the daemon.
>>
>> srpm baz 1.1 now ships 2 rpmīs, baz (exactly as in version 1.0) and
>> baz-something that contains the barīs daemon from 1.0.
>>
>> In order to avoid upgrade issues, we need to make sure that bar 1.1 will
>> pull in baz-something 1.1 (to retain functionality), at the same time
>> baz-something requires bar 1.1 to operate at all.
>>
>> There is no requirement for a strictly versioned Requires: on both
>> sides. baz-something Requires: bar >= 1.1, and bar Requires:
>> baz-something (no version need since itīs a new rpm).
>
> The above reads more complicated than I think it is. I assume you have
> two problems:
>
> 1. When moving from foo-1.0 => foo-1.1 and baz-1.1, you have a package
> split ... this implies using versioned Obsoletes (<= 1.0) on bar from
> baz-something.
>
> 2. In baz-something-1.1 you have a normal requires on bar-1.1 ... so
> just add a versioned (>= 1.1) require.

Hey guys,

thanks for the hint in the right direction!

Fabio