Old 11-30-2010, 07:09 PM
David Lehman

Default Support installing to disk image files.

Patches 1, 2, 6, 8, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, and 16 are just various cleanups.

Patch 3 fixes a bug in handling partitions on device-mapper disks.

Patches 4, 5, 7, 11, and 12 add support for installing to disk image files.

Some known issues:

- There's no way to determine product name from liveinst for image installs.
- There's no way to ensure the host system can run anaconda correctly.
- There's no way to configure network devices for the installed system.
- Already-active LUKS devices break devicetree.populate as of now, which
renders anaconda-image-cleanup useless if you encrypt any devices in/on
your disk images.

To create image files you can use dd or qemu-img (raw format). Then, to do
an install to the images, you would run something like this (after
installing the anaconda rpm):

LIVECMD="anaconda --image=/opt/disk1.img --image=/opt/disk2.img -m http://cannonball/install/rawhide/20101110/x86_64/os/" liveinst

Old 12-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Chris Lumens

> Patches 1, 2, 6, 8, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, and 16 are just various cleanups.
>
> Patch 3 fixes a bug in handling partitions on device-mapper disks.
>
> Patches 4, 5, 7, 11, and 12 add support for installing to disk image files.

I say push it!

> Some known issues:
>
> - There's no way to determine product name from liveinst for image installs.

We can check the .treeinfo once we're working on package installation,
but that is probably way too late for what you want to do.

> - There's no way to configure network devices for the installed system.

We can document this and suggest people put something in their %post
scripts for kickstart installs, otherwise they'll have to do it
interactively later.

In general, this feature needs the proper exploitation - document and
hype to make sure everyone knows about it.

> To create image files you can use dd or qemu-img (raw format). Then, to do
> an install to the images, you would run something like this (after
> installing the anaconda rpm):
>
> LIVECMD="anaconda --image=/opt/disk1.img --image=/opt/disk2.img -m http://cannonball/install/rawhide/20101110/x86_64/os/" liveinst

Might be worth making a really small shell script to wrap this and make
it less goofy. But that's trivial.

- Chris