Old 11-29-2010, 05:17 AM
Matt Domsch

Default biosdevname hitting rawhide

I've just pushed biosdevname-0.3.1 into rawhide. This is not yet
installed by default as part of @base, nor is it used by anaconda, but
those changes will come over the next few days.

biosdevname, on at least Dell 10G and newer, and HP 6G and newer
servers, provides "better" BIOS-suggested names for embedded NIC
ports, and NIC ports on add-in PCI cards. If you have existing names,
as defined in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, those names
will continue to be used, and biosdevname won't ever be invoked.
Likewise, if you have device names assigned to MAC addresses in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*, biosdevname won't be
invoked. But going forward, on new installs, biosdevname _will_ be
used to change the names.

The naming scheme is thus:

Embedded ports: em<port>
and soon Network Partitioned (NPAR) devices).

If you have a Dell or HP server, and would like to try it out, please:
# yum install biosdevname
# rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
# sed -i -e '/^HWADDR=/d' /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*
# rmmod <your ethernet drivers>
# modprobe <your ethernet drivers>
(or reboot instead)

# ifconfig -a
will show all the devices with the new naming scheme.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

Old 11-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Matt Domsch

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 12:17:22AM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> I've just pushed biosdevname-0.3.1 into rawhide. This is not yet
> installed by default as part of @base, nor is it used by anaconda, but
> those changes will come over the next few days.

I've pushed the comps change to pull biosdevname into @base by
default. And I've posted a patch to anaconda-devel-list to pull
biosdevname into the installtime environment. Cross your fingers,
this is gonna be great!

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

Old 11-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 11/29/2010 08:27 PM, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 12:17:22AM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
>> I've just pushed biosdevname-0.3.1 into rawhide. This is not yet
>> installed by default as part of @base, nor is it used by anaconda, but
>> those changes will come over the next few days.
> I've pushed the comps change to pull biosdevname into @base by
> default. And I've posted a patch to anaconda-devel-list to pull
> biosdevname into the installtime environment. Cross your fingers,
> this is gonna be great!

Can you expand the release notes section of

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming

Please include the benefits in that.

Rahul

Old 11-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Matt Domsch

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 08:48:05PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 08:27 PM, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 12:17:22AM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> >> I've just pushed biosdevname-0.3.1 into rawhide. This is not yet
> >> installed by default as part of @base, nor is it used by anaconda, but
> >> those changes will come over the next few days.
> > I've pushed the comps change to pull biosdevname into @base by
> > default. And I've posted a patch to anaconda-devel-list to pull
> > biosdevname into the installtime environment. Cross your fingers,
> > this is gonna be great!
>
> Can you expand the release notes section of
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming
>
> Please include the benefits in that.

Done.

--