Old 11-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Ankur Sinha

Default vim + clipboard facilities : turned off? How does one enable them?

Hello,

I was looking for a method to send text from a vim buffer to the system
clipboard. I came across this[1].

The fedora Vim package has clipboard facility disabled:

[ankurGuest@070905042 PhD]$ vim --version | grep -i clipboard
-clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
+comments
-xterm_clipboard -xterm_save

Ubuntu apparently has a package vim-full where the clipboard facilities
etc. is enabled. Is there a similar package in Fedora? I'd really like
to stick to fedora packages. Is there a reason why this is turned off?

Thanks,
Regards,
Ankur

[1]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/sorting-in-vi-editor-and-copying-to-clipboard-806250/

Old 11-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Haïkel Guémar

use vimx from package vim-X11

best regards,
H.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Athmane Madjoudj

On 11/27/2010 07:50 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was looking for a method to send text from a vim buffer to the system
> clipboard. I came across this[1].
>
> The fedora Vim package has clipboard facility disabled:
>
> [ankurGuest@070905042 PhD]$ vim --version | grep -i clipboard
> -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
> +comments
> -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save

gvim from vim-X11 package has this feature enabled

$ gvim --version | grep -i clipboard
+clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
+comments
+xsmp_interact +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save

HTH

--
Athmane Madjoudj

Old 11-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Ankur Sinha

On Sun, 2010-11-28 at 00:20 +0530, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was looking for a method to send text from a vim buffer to the system
> clipboard. I came across this[1].
>
> The fedora Vim package has clipboard facility disabled:
>
> [ankurGuest@070905042 PhD]$ vim --version | grep -i clipboard
> -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
> +comments
> -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
>
> Ubuntu apparently has a package vim-full where the clipboard facilities
> etc. is enabled. Is there a similar package in Fedora? I'd really like
> to stick to fedora packages. Is there a reason why this is turned off?
>
> Thanks,
> Regards,
> Ankur
>
> [1]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/sorting-in-vi-editor-and-copying-to-clipboard-806250/

Hello,

Well, I went hunting, and came up with this. (problem solved btw)

gvim is compiled with the clipboard options enabled, therefore instead
of using vim, use "gvim -v filename"

then, for example, to copy the entire file to the system clipboard, go
-> gg"+yG

"+ here is the register that holds the system buffer and is what works
on gnome-terminal.

for xterm, you can use * instead of +.

Thanks,
regards,