FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Michael Schwendt
 
Default F13 update issue..

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:25:15 -0700, Nathanael wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My aunt has F13 installed.. I got the following from her. Is this a
> known bug ?? I can't make heads or tails of the error message or what to
> tell her to do to resolve it.
>
> ERROR with rpm_check_debug vs depsolve:
> perl-libs = 4:5.10.1-112.fc13 is needed by perl-4:5.10.1-112.fc13.i686
> perl-libs = 4:5.10.1-112.fc13 is needed by perl-4:5.10.1-112.fc13.i686
> Please report this error at http://yum.baseurl.org/report
>
> Something worth reporting to bugzilla?


On x86_64?

If so, get her to erase perl.i686 in favour of perl.x86_64.
An update changed the multiarch dependencies in Perl, so there
is a newer perl-libs.i686 in the x86_64 repo, but no update for
the old perl.i686 in Fedora 13 release.

This is multiarch breakage, which has been found and reported
long ago, but won't be fixed. It's in the broken deps report, but
ignore (= maintainers don't receive private mail about it anymore):
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-November/095670.html
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Rex Dieter
 
Default F13 update issue..

Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:25:15 -0700, Nathanael wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> My aunt has F13 installed.. I got the following from her. Is this a
>> known bug ?? I can't make heads or tails of the error message or what to
>> tell her to do to resolve it.
>>
>> ERROR with rpm_check_debug vs depsolve:
>> perl-libs = 4:5.10.1-112.fc13 is needed by perl-4:5.10.1-112.fc13.i686
>> perl-libs = 4:5.10.1-112.fc13 is needed by perl-4:5.10.1-112.fc13.i686
>> Please report this error at http://yum.baseurl.org/report
>>
>> Something worth reporting to bugzilla?

> This is multiarch breakage, which has been found and reported
> long ago, but won't be fixed.

Nathanael, yes bugzilla, its fixable with a simple Obsoletes (which I'll
commit to help with).

-- Rex


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Michael Schwendt
 
Default F13 update issue..

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 06:12:17 -0600, Rex wrote:

> > On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:25:15 -0700, Nathanael wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> My aunt has F13 installed.. I got the following from her. Is this a
> >> known bug ?? I can't make heads or tails of the error message or what to
> >> tell her to do to resolve it.
> >>
> >> ERROR with rpm_check_debug vs depsolve:
> >> perl-libs = 4:5.10.1-112.fc13 is needed by perl-4:5.10.1-112.fc13.i686
> >> perl-libs = 4:5.10.1-112.fc13 is needed by perl-4:5.10.1-112.fc13.i686
> >> Please report this error at http://yum.baseurl.org/report
> >>
> >> Something worth reporting to bugzilla?
>
> > This is multiarch breakage, which has been found and reported
> > long ago, but won't be fixed.
>
> Nathanael, yes bugzilla, its fixable with a simple Obsoletes (which I'll
> commit to help with).

self-Obsoletes are a way to fix it, sure. It's one thing I tell packagers
when they mail me in reply to broken deps reports. But when above I wrote
it "won't be fixed" that refers to the result of the communication with
Marcela Mašláňová about this.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Marcela Mašláňová
 
Default F13 update issue..

On 11/25/2010 02:15 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 06:12:17 -0600, Rex wrote:
>
>>> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:25:15 -0700, Nathanael wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hello,
>>>>
>>>> My aunt has F13 installed.. I got the following from her. Is this a
>>>> known bug ?? I can't make heads or tails of the error message or what to
>>>> tell her to do to resolve it.
>>>>
>>>> ERROR with rpm_check_debug vs depsolve:
>>>> perl-libs = 4:5.10.1-112.fc13 is needed by perl-4:5.10.1-112.fc13.i686
>>>> perl-libs = 4:5.10.1-112.fc13 is needed by perl-4:5.10.1-112.fc13.i686
>>>> Please report this error at http://yum.baseurl.org/report
>>>>
>>>> Something worth reporting to bugzilla?
>>> This is multiarch breakage, which has been found and reported
>>> long ago, but won't be fixed.
>> Nathanael, yes bugzilla, its fixable with a simple Obsoletes (which I'll
>> commit to help with).
> self-Obsoletes are a way to fix it, sure. It's one thing I tell packagers
> when they mail me in reply to broken deps reports. But when above I wrote
> it "won't be fixed" that refers to the result of the communication with
> Marcela Mašláňová about this.
Yes, we (Perl maintainers) already discussed this issue with you. But from
our point view it was problem of wrong script, which create perl-libs
for both
architectures (i686 and x86_64).
The easiest solution is to remove perl-libs-5.10.1-112.fc13.i686 from
system,
but I will test if "obsolete" would work.
Imho yum could do solve it, so I'll create a RFE request for this issue.

Regards,
Marcela

--
Marcela Mašláňová
BaseOS team Brno

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Michael Schwendt
 
Default F13 update issue..

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 17:31:18 +0100, Marcela wrote:

> On 11/25/2010 02:15 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 06:12:17 -0600, Rex wrote:
> >
> >>> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:25:15 -0700, Nathanael wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> Hello,
> >>>>
> >>>> My aunt has F13 installed.. I got the following from her. Is this a
> >>>> known bug ?? I can't make heads or tails of the error message or what to
> >>>> tell her to do to resolve it.
> >>>>
> >>>> ERROR with rpm_check_debug vs depsolve:
> >>>> perl-libs = 4:5.10.1-112.fc13 is needed by perl-4:5.10.1-112.fc13.i686
> >>>> perl-libs = 4:5.10.1-112.fc13 is needed by perl-4:5.10.1-112.fc13.i686
> >>>> Please report this error at http://yum.baseurl.org/report
> >>>>
> >>>> Something worth reporting to bugzilla?
> >>> This is multiarch breakage, which has been found and reported
> >>> long ago, but won't be fixed.
> >> Nathanael, yes bugzilla, its fixable with a simple Obsoletes (which I'll
> >> commit to help with).
> > self-Obsoletes are a way to fix it, sure. It's one thing I tell packagers
> > when they mail me in reply to broken deps reports. But when above I wrote
> > it "won't be fixed" that refers to the result of the communication with
> > Marcela Mašláňová about this.
> Yes, we (Perl maintainers) already discussed this issue with you. But from
> our point view it was problem of wrong script, which create perl-libs
> for both
> architectures (i686 and x86_64).
> The easiest solution is to remove perl-libs-5.10.1-112.fc13.i686 from
> system,
> but I will test if "obsolete" would work.
> Imho yum could do solve it, so I'll create a RFE request for this issue.

It would be very helpful, if you really spent a minute to run

repoquery --whatrequires libperl.so

on an x86_64 machine. In short: There are other multiarch packages in the
x86_64, which depend on the i686 Perl library.

Hence you may be able to remove perl-libs.i686 from an x86_64 system, but
not from the repo, since the multiarch compose tool ("mash") adds it to
the repo to satisfy dependencies. The original mistake is that perl.i686
no longer is dragged in, but still available in the Fedora 13 release repo
(aka "everything").


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:05 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org