FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Marcela Mašláňová
 
Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

On 11/24/2010 01:41 PM, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> 2010/11/24 Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@0pointer.de>:
>> On Sun, 21.11.10 00:46, Michał Piotrowski (mkkp4x4@gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to help with scripts conversion. IMO the conversion
>>> action should be coordinated.
>>>
>>> Comments, thoughts?
>> I would certainly welcome any work in this direction!
> Could you look at the
> crond.service https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=656864
> and
> atd.service https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=656869
> and see if I did not do any fundamental error?
>
> Seems to me that these are simple enough at the beginning
>
> For both I used Type=forking - it works fine, but it seems to me that
> Type=simple might be a better choice.
>
> Best regards,
> Michal
Could you explain, what's the difference between
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=656864 and
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=617324 ?

In the older bug was the correct script at least discussed. Why are you
mass opening new bugs, when the old weren't solved and they could contain
reasonable information as in this case?

Marcela

--
Marcela Mašláňová
BaseOS team Brno

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Genes MailLists
 
Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

> Although I can't be the only one who puts various cron jobs
> under /etc/cron.d that get run at various times.
>
> Andrew

Almost every administrative cron here is in a cron.d crontab file .. we
need control over exactly what time certain things happen. So please
keep the functionality.


If systemd is the expert spawner - then perhaps things like cron (or
any reproductive daemon for that matter) could lean on a systemd for
spawn service - but leave the other application specific parts to the
local daemons to do for themselves.

There is some merit in functional separation too ...


g

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-26-2010, 01:08 AM
Lennart Poettering
 
Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

On Thu, 25.11.10 19:57, Genes MailLists (lists@sapience.com) wrote:

>
>
> > Although I can't be the only one who puts various cron jobs
> > under /etc/cron.d that get run at various times.
> >
> > Andrew
>
> Almost every administrative cron here is in a cron.d crontab file .. we
> need control over exactly what time certain things happen. So please
> keep the functionality.

Hey, as I made explcitily clear I have no plans of taking away anything
from you. No need to be defensive...

> If systemd is the expert spawner - then perhaps things like cron (or
> any reproductive daemon for that matter) could lean on a systemd for
> spawn service - but leave the other application specific parts to the
> local daemons to do for themselves.
>
> There is some merit in functional separation too ...

Well, there isn't if the remaining bits simply do some minimal calendar
calculations and do that in a way we shouldn't do things anymore, and
hence needs to be fixed anyway.

As mentioned: i have no plans to take crond away. Just change it to be
started a little bit differently.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-26-2010, 01:19 AM
Genes MailLists
 
Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

On 11/25/2010 09:08 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Thu, 25.11.10 19:57, Genes MailLists (lists@sapience.com) wrote:
keep the functionality.
>
> Hey, as I made explcitily clear I have no plans of taking away anything
> from you. No need to be defensive...

Actually that was after I posted but ok :-) good!

>> There is some merit in functional separation too ...
>
> Well, there isn't if the remaining bits simply do some minimal calendar
> calculations and do that in a way we shouldn't do things anymore, and
> hence needs to be fixed anyway.


mmm maybe ...
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-26-2010, 01:23 AM
Genes MailLists
 
Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

On 11/25/2010 09:19 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 11/25/2010 09:08 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> On Thu, 25.11.10 19:57, Genes MailLists (lists@sapience.com) wrote:
> keep the functionality.
>>
>> Hey, as I made explcitily clear I have no plans of taking away anything
>> from you. No need to be defensive...
>

Also was not being defensive (or aggressive :-) - just politely asking
...

thanks!


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 11-26-2010, 03:11 AM
Genes MailLists
 
Default F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

On 11/25/2010 11:01 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@0pointer.de> said:
>> Well, I actually believe we should design an OS here, not just a set of
>> independent tools. And that means I think closer integration is good and
>> only has benefits.
>
> But this is a Unix-like OS, where each tool does one (or few) things and
> does them well. systemd is not the OS, it is just one tool. Please
> don't try to subsume the entire OS into systemd.
>

Lets get systemd working well and as close to dammit as bug free please
.. before we start having it take over other parts of the OS ...


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:02 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org