Old 11-23-2010, 12:49 PM
"Paul F. Johnson"

Default The sale of Novell

Hi,

As you may be aware, Novell recently sold itself/merged/whatever to
another company with the transfer of 882 patents to MS. No idea what
this will mean with the SCO legal case, but hey.

My question regards Mono now. With the sale of Novell and MS gaining a
pile of patents, will this affect the inclusion of Mono and the mono
sub-packages into Fedora? I know the licence is OSS happy (else it
wouldn't be allowed in), but will the sale change this (change of
ownership, revokation of the licence etc)?

TTFN

Paul
--
Vertraue mir, ich weiss, was ich mache...

Old 11-23-2010, 12:51 PM
drago01

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Paul F. Johnson
<paul@all-the-johnsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you may be aware, Novell recently sold itself/merged/whatever to
> another company with the transfer of 882 patents to MS. No idea what
> this will mean with the SCO legal case, but hey.
>
> My question regards Mono now. With the sale of Novell and MS gaining a
> pile of patents, will this affect the inclusion of Mono and the mono
> sub-packages into Fedora? I know the licence is OSS happy (else it
> wouldn't be allowed in), but will the sale change this (change of
> ownership, revokation of the licence etc)?

AFAIK the reason mono & friends are allowed at all are that they are
protected by the OIN, which didn't change.